• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

liza solis

wondering... what will happen to the defendant after the third trial in a federal courthouse and not found guilty?

liza solis

My boyfriend has been held under custody for the last four years. In the last two years he has attended two first degree murder trials but was not found guilty. He will have a third trial sometime this year, so it has made me wonder what will happen with him if not found guilty once more?

CdwJava

My boyfriend has been held under custody for the last four years. In the last two years he has attended two first degree murder trials but was not found guilty. He will have a third trial sometime this year, so it has made me wonder what will happen with him if not found guilty once more?
Okay ... was he found "not guilty" in the past? Or, as I suspect, were their hung juries? There i a HUGE difference!

If a third jury hangs, they may be permitted to try him yet again. It all depends on the details, and no on can say what will happen. His attorney can tell him what is LIKELY to happen, however.

liza solis

Rite. There has been two hung juries now... So if there is a third hung jury will there be a chance of the chargers being dropped or will they continue on to another trial?

CdwJava

Rite. There has been two hung juries now... So if there is a third hung jury will there be a chance of the chargers being dropped or will they continue on to another trial?
I cannot predict what the prosecution will do. I am not aware of any law that requires the state to cease prosecution after three attempts, so they just might keep coming back until a verdict is reached.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">