• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JameyH

I'm in the Commonwealth of VA and her's my issue ... about 7 years ago my child's father's cousin came into my home and tried to take my child, then when I wouldn't allow it attacked me while I was holding my 1 year old. After contacting the police, I pressed assault & battery charges as suggested. Once she rec'd her summons, she went to the magistrate & pressed the same against me. The judge dismissed the case & since then I believe they have outlaws the counteractive complaints. Since then, women acquainted with him have pressed charges against me for harassing phone calls and the use of profane language over the phone (personally I think b/c they couldn't get under my skin or get a reaction for their or his antics). In both situations the court-appointed attorneys failed to speak w/ me prior to the court date & when I arrived advised me that they could put a no-contact in for a specific amount of time and then the judge would dismiss the charge. This was fine by me because it meant the women would have to leave me alone. However, I was laid off last year & ever since each time a potential employer runs a back ground check they then revoke their employment offer based on deferred adjunctaion. I have called the clerk of the court who doesn't know what the term means & says they shouldn't be able to see dismissed charges. I have the copies of what they receive and they say dismissed. This has happened 3 times. i am a single mother of two owed over 30 k in child support, the father won't even offer any emotional or physical help and his antics are preventing me from getting a JOB! Please help me to understand this. I understand the difference between charged and convicted, but can dismissed =charged? Really?

HuAi

If I understand correctly, you were charged with harassment. Before trial you made a plea bargain with prosecution for deferred adjucation.

Have you completed your community service, etc? Is it still ongoing? Did you have a hearing for final adjucation? What was the outcome?

The point of d.a. is to allow first time offenders to keep their record clean for minor crimes, however it's not the same thing as pleading not guilty and having the charges dismissed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">