• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help/advice please?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tspade

What is the name of your state? CA

I was shopping in a store last week and noticed a salesgirl giving me weird looks. She let me into a fitting room where I tried on 2 shirts; I decided I didn't want them and left them in the fitting room since the mall was about to close and I still had other stores to go to. The next day, I received a call from the police saying that the store only found one of the shirts in the fitting room and that someone, either the salesgirl or a security guard I guess, had followed me around the mall and to my car and took down my license plate number to track me down because it was against the store's policy to confront shoplifters. I wish they HAD confronted me though because then I could have been proven that I did NOT take the shirt! The police officer told me that he was going to write up a report with me as the suspect and forward it to the DA to bring the case to court. He also said that if I had the shirt and gave it back, the situation would be resolved. However, since I don't have the shirt and this court stuff sounds like a lot of hassle and risk of getting a record to me, is it possible for me to just give the store money for however much the shirt was worth that they said I took? Would that be admitting guilt? Is there ANYTHING I can do at this point? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

calatty

Now that the police and DA are involved, giving the store money won't get you out of it, but will be taken as an admission of guilt. The DA might not pick the case up, but if s/he does, you can't avoid it. Their case is pretty weak. If they had time to follow you around the mall, they had time to detain you or get security to stop you instead of waiting to catch up to you until the next day, when you could not prove you did not have the shirt on you.

T

tspade

How do I know if I have to go to court? Will I get something in the mail? And if I do go to court and plead not guilty, are you saying that they have a pretty weak case against me because it's pretty much the salesgirl's word against mine? Or because they didn't confront me while I was there? Thanks for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">