• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help...confused misdemeanor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

eibhu

What is the name of your state? Texas

I was arrested for public lewdness. I was way too drunk at a party and a guy who I didn't even know very well got a hold of my keys and took me to a park, where we supposedly had sex. I don't remember anything, the last thing I remember was drinking too much, and then I was in a holding cell. Help!!! Do I need a lawyer, will i get jail time, or a fine?

HomeGuru

eibhu said:
What is the name of your state? Texas

I was arrested for public lewdness. I was way too drunk at a party and a guy who I didn't even know very well got a hold of my keys and took me to a park, where we supposedly had sex. I don't remember anything, the last thing I remember was drinking too much, and then I was in a holding cell. Help!!! Do I need a lawyer, will i get jail time, or a fine?
**A: no, you need a brain.

E

eibhu

I just want to know if I need a lawyer or if I'll have to go to jail or if I'll just pay a fine, please someone help I've never been in this kind of situation.

JETX

eibhu said:
Do I need a lawyer, will i get jail time, or a fine?
From the Texas Penal Code:
§ 21.07. PUBLIC LEWDNESS.
(a) A person commits an offense if he knowingly engages in any of the following acts in a public place or, if not in a public place, he is reckless about whether another is present who will be offended or alarmed by his:
(1) act of sexual intercourse;
(2) act of deviate sexual intercourse;
(3) act of sexual contact; or
(4) act involving contact between the person's mouth or genitals and the anus or genitals of an animal or fowl.
(b) An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

This is really a minor offense, and is usuall dealt with by a small fine (a few $100 or so), plus court costs (another $100) and possibly with a short probated sentence.

If you are intending to try to plea this to a lesser charge or to plead not guilty, get an attorney. If you are going to accept the charges, you can do that on your own without an attorney.

Happy Trails

eibhu said:
I just want to know if I need a lawyer or if I'll have to go to jail or if I'll just pay a fine, please someone help I've never been in this kind of situation.
Texas Penal Code Definition for Public Lewdness

21.07 Public Lewdness

In this chapter:

(A) A person commits an offense if he knowingly engages in any of the following acts in a public place or, if not a public place, he is reckless about whether another is present who will be offended or alarmed by his:

(1) act of sexual intercourse;

(2) act of deviate sexual intercourse;

(3) act of sexual contact;

(4) act involving contact between the person's mouth or genitals and the anus or genitals of an animal or fowl.

(B) An offense under this section is a Class A Misdemeanor.

Class A Misdemeanor PC 12.21

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An individual adjudged guilty of a Class A misdemeanor shall be punished by:

1.) a fine not to exceed $4,000
2.) confinement in jail for a term not to exceed one year
3.) both such fine and confinement

It's your call if you think you want to hire an attorney or not.

E

eibhu

so I really shouldn't worry that much then? I'll pay as long as I don't have to do jail time. Am I pretty safe?

JETX

eibhu said:
so I really shouldn't worry that much then?
If you don't care if you have a criminal record for 'lewd conduct', probably not. Hell, it might even help you if you ever decide to run for public office.

I'll pay as long as I don't have to do jail time. Am I pretty safe?
I doubt that you will get jail time for a first offense 'lewd conduct' charge.

E

eibhu

You know that's actually funny because he was medium height and had a beard.(He was male though)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">