• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help on a counterfit question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jared_olstad_00

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Dakota

So like 2 months back i accidently gave a bartender where I worked at a fake 100 dallor bill. They turned it in to the police and I talked with the main detective on the case. I paid the bar back all the money plus some and was fired. The cop said I should be okay and he was not even sure he would turn the case over to the district attorny. Now 2 months later I find out that my old boss who had nothing to do with any of this situation was subpoenaed to the grand jury to see if they are going to press charges against me. I am just wonder what this is all about and how much trouble I might be in.

Last edited:

justalayman

you could be in a LOT of trouble if the courts believe you were not an innocent victim.

a quick look found that it is up to 5 years in prison and/or up to a $10,000 fine.

Ooh, even worse. another site states the following penalties:

– Passing counterfeit currency: A maximum penalty of 20 years without parole and a fine up to $250,000.
– Possession of counterfeit currency: A maximum penalty of 10 years without parole and a fine up to $250,000.

you need to start looking for an attorney. You need to not speak to anybody about this other than your attorney unless your attorney is with you and approves.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Never accept legal advice from the police.
If there is a grand jury, someone is seriously considering pressing charges. The business is NOT the person who makes this determination. Restitution doesn't exonerate you from the original act.

Follow justa's advice. Keep your mouth shut and have an attorney ready.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">