• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help!- Ex distributed personal movies

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kaelitiger

My Ex and i made some videos of us engaged in intercourse as well as just of me for him. I recently found out that while we were dating/ sleeping with each other he was giving these tapes to his friends and others. He promised ( and i have it in writing) to never show anyone else as well as to delete them, two things he obviously did not do. Is there any legal action I can take against him? Is there something i can do about the fact that i was lead to believe that these would be only for him while in reality they were being made for mass distribution? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Illinois

Last edited:

seniorjudge

My Ex and i made some videos of us engaged in intercourse as well as just of me for him. I recently found out that while we were dating/ sleeping with each other he was giving these tapes to his friends and others. He promised ( and i have it in writing) to never show anyone else as well as to delete them, two things he obviously did not do. Is there any legal action I can take against him? Is there something i can do about the fact that i was lead to believe that these would be only for him while in reality they were being made for mass distribution? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Illinois
In writing?

Did you have an agreement in writing?

Kaelitiger

Yes i have him promising not to show them to anyone and to delete them in multiple saved instant messaging conversations. I made the mistake to trust him but that didn't stop me from being super paranoid. I also have the proof that he did mass distribute them. When one of his told me ( because my ex told him that i knew the videos were being sent out) i asked hi to print up all the e-mails with the multiple addresses of his friends as well as the main page of his inbox to show when and how many were sent total. I know its a long shot but please tell me there is something i can do.

las365

I am not an attorney and this is not legal advice, just a suggestion of what your situation entails. If I am wrong about any of it, someone will let you (and me!) know.

I am guessing that your exbf is not wealthy, and his distribution of your sex movies is not a negligent act that can be covered by insurance, so the usual civil punishment involving an award of money is fairly meaningless. This doesn't mean that you can't get a civil judgement against him; it just means that if you do, you'll have to collect it and that can be quite difficult w/o insurance or ready cash to recover from. It also means that you will probably not be able to get a lawyer to represent you on a contingent fee (legal fees paid via a percentage of the monetray recovery).

Thus, dealing with the consequences of your poor decision* to make sex movies with your exbf is going to cost you some money. You can probably get a Court to order your exbf to stop distributing the movies and if he violates that Order he may see some jail time for civil contempt. You would have to stay on top of it and most likely pay your lawyer by the hour.

I guess since you were over 18, there probably isn't a criminal case against him. He sure sounds like a jerk, though. :(

*I don't say that to be mean; it was a poor decision and you know that. It's just a fact you'll live and learn from.

CavemanLawyer

If whatever written agreement you have is in any way binding than you can hire an attorney and seek an injunction. That is a court order prohibiting him from further distributing the videos. That's about all you can do. There is nothing criminal about what he is doing, its just disrespectful.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
And, without additional proof, your "evidence" is rather flimsy. I mean, 30 seconds in MS Word, and even I can have saved instant messages of your ex-BF promising not to release the tapes he has of me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">