• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help! I really need some advice!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KR917

What is the name of your state? New York, New York
I previously posted about this situation. I will jus give a quick re-cap. I cashed some checks for this woman that lives in my building. It turns out that the checks were counterfeit. The total amount of the checks was $3,012.99. The store made a report. They couldn't find the person whose name was on the checks, but they knew where to find me. I have been going to this store for over ten years. I have cashed many checks for other people and nothing like this has EVER happened before.
Anyway, a detective came to my house, and asked me if I could go with her to the precinct to talk about the checks. I asked her if I was going to be arrested for this, and she said NO. She told me she was parked around the corner, and she would wait for me there. I met her at their car, and we went to the precinct from there. When we got to the precinct, we went upstairs, and she asked me to sit in a room, no bars, no handcuffs yet. I got to the precinct at 3:14 pm, we talked about the checks, my kids, etc, she was very nice to me. She asked me if I wanted anything from the store, or if I wanted to order any food. She still hadn't told me I was under arrest.She asked me if I wanted to tell her what happened, or if I wanted to consult a lawyer first. I told her I would answer her questions. After I explained what had happened, she asked me to write down what I had just told her. Now, it was about 7:45 pm, she told me that we had to go downstairs to take my fingerprints. At this point she told me that I was under arrest, and she read me my rights from a piece of paper that I had to initial after she explained each part. I was brought back upstairs, put back into the room, still hadn't been handcuffed or put into a cell. She had just put me in a room with a desk and two chairs. I could have walked out at any time. She even let me go to the store to get a soda. When I came back from the store, we did the fingerprints, she told me at that time that we had to wait until my record check came back, then I would be transported to the court. She told me that she would try to keep me upstairs in that room instead of putting me in a holding cell because there was an extremely drunk, loud, obnoxious woman in the cell. I was transported to the Manhattan court holding cells. I arrived there around 10:55 pm, I was put into a cell with about 50 woman. It was awful, I couldn't believe what I saw in these cells. Finally around 4pm the next afternoon, a lawyer called my name and told me that the da was looking for jail time on this case. I explained to her that the manager from the store was dropping all charges against me, and that the detective was right there when her said it. ( this happened in the pct. the detective called him, and he came over to see if he could drop the charges there so I wouldn't have to go to jail.)the lawyer asked me if I had his phone number and his name, as well as the name and # of the detective to verify what I had told her. She tried to get in touch with both the store manager and the detective, with no luck. Finally, she put my case up to be called. The da told the judge that I was a flight risk and asked for 10,000.00 bail. For some reason ALL of my paperwork was missing. they didn't have anything, not the report from the detective, not the statement I wrote, not the statement the store manager wrote stating that he WAS NOT pressing charges. I was told that I had to go back to court on Friday, June 21st, to see the grand jury.The judge said $5,000.00 and was remanded to Rikers Island correctional facility. I arrived at rikers island 2:30 in the morning. I was processed, seen by the medical staff, etc, what they do to new intakes. I was brought to a housing area at 11am the next day. oN Thursday night at 7:22 pm. the officer called my name and told me to pack up. She said I was going home. I asked her how was I going home, she said she didn't know to ask them at the intake area where they release me. I asked the captain, he told me that the charges were dropped by the original complainant. I asked if I still had to go to court Friday morning,(court was only 3 hours away) He replied, no, the charges have been dropped. I went home,today I got a letter in the mail from the legal aid stating that I was supposed to be in court last Friday, and the judge stayed the bench warrant until July 18th, my next court date. The lawyer said that the DA said that my case MAY be dismissed on the 18th. If the store manager dropped the charges, do I still have something to worry about? I have never been arrested before in my life, never been in trouble for anything, not even traffic tickets. I know the state could pick up the case, but do you think it is probable???? The store manager wrote a statement that he believes that I didn't know the checks were counterfeit, and that he has known me for over ten years, etc..... Please give any advice you can in this matter, I am so nervous. Any help would be appreciated. Thank-you

C

CombatTN88

KR917 said:
What is the name of your state? New York, New York
I previously posted about this situation. I will jus give a quick re-cap. I cashed some checks for this woman that lives in my building. It turns out that the checks were counterfeit. The total amount of the checks was $3,012.99. The store made a report. They couldn't find the person whose name was on the checks, but they knew where to find me. I have been going to this store for over ten years. I have cashed many checks for other people and nothing like this has EVER happened before.
Anyway, a detective came to my house, and asked me if I could go with her to the precinct to talk about the checks. I asked her if I was going to be arrested for this, and she said NO. She told me she was parked around the corner, and she would wait for me there. I met her at their car, and we went to the precinct from there. When we got to the precinct, we went upstairs, and she asked me to sit in a room, no bars, no handcuffs yet. I got to the precinct at 3:14 pm, we talked about the checks, my kids, etc, she was very nice to me. She asked me if I wanted anything from the store, or if I wanted to order any food. She still hadn't told me I was under arrest.She asked me if I wanted to tell her what happened, or if I wanted to consult a lawyer first. I told her I would answer her questions. After I explained what had happened, she asked me to write down what I had just told her. Now, it was about 7:45 pm, she told me that we had to go downstairs to take my fingerprints. At this point she told me that I was under arrest, and she read me my rights from a piece of paper that I had to initial after she explained each part. I was brought back upstairs, put back into the room, still hadn't been handcuffed or put into a cell. She had just put me in a room with a desk and two chairs. I could have walked out at any time. She even let me go to the store to get a soda. When I came back from the store, we did the fingerprints, she told me at that time that we had to wait until my record check came back, then I would be transported to the court. She told me that she would try to keep me upstairs in that room instead of putting me in a holding cell because there was an extremely drunk, loud, obnoxious woman in the cell. I was transported to the Manhattan court holding cells. I arrived there around 10:55 pm, I was put into a cell with about 50 woman. It was awful, I couldn't believe what I saw in these cells. Finally around 4pm the next afternoon, a lawyer called my name and told me that the da was looking for jail time on this case. I explained to her that the manager from the store was dropping all charges against me, and that the detective was right there when her said it. ( this happened in the pct. the detective called him, and he came over to see if he could drop the charges there so I wouldn't have to go to jail.)the lawyer asked me if I had his phone number and his name, as well as the name and # of the detective to verify what I had told her. She tried to get in touch with both the store manager and the detective, with no luck. Finally, she put my case up to be called. The da told the judge that I was a flight risk and asked for 10,000.00 bail. For some reason ALL of my paperwork was missing. they didn't have anything, not the report from the detective, not the statement I wrote, not the statement the store manager wrote stating that he WAS NOT pressing charges. I was told that I had to go back to court on Friday, June 21st, to see the grand jury.The judge said $5,000.00 and was remanded to Rikers Island correctional facility. I arrived at rikers island 2:30 in the morning. I was processed, seen by the medical staff, etc, what they do to new intakes. I was brought to a housing area at 11am the next day. oN Thursday night at 7:22 pm. the officer called my name and told me to pack up. She said I was going home. I asked her how was I going home, she said she didn't know to ask them at the intake area where they release me. I asked the captain, he told me that the charges were dropped by the original complainant. I asked if I still had to go to court Friday morning,(court was only 3 hours away) He replied, no, the charges have been dropped. I went home,today I got a letter in the mail from the legal aid stating that I was supposed to be in court last Friday, and the judge stayed the bench warrant until July 18th, my next court date. The lawyer said that the DA said that my case MAY be dismissed on the 18th. If the store manager dropped the charges, do I still have something to worry about? I have never been arrested before in my life, never been in trouble for anything, not even traffic tickets. I know the state could pick up the case, but do you think it is probable???? The store manager wrote a statement that he believes that I didn't know the checks were counterfeit, and that he has known me for over ten years, etc..... Please give any advice you can in this matter, I am so nervous. Any help would be appreciated. Thank-you
See what I mean. It sounds like trumped up charges to me. The DA asked for big bond because DA believed you are flight risk. See what I mean, YOU WERE INNOCENT, but still DA and court system treated you like a criminal.

Regards, Combat

T

talianna

Combat, honestly, are you trying to be helpful or just rack up as many posts as you can?

KR917, did they find the paperwork, or do you know? Hopefully this court appearance will let you leave with all the charges dropped.

Best of luck!

K

KR917

They finally found the lost paperwork, the statement from the store manager, and the detectives paperwork. I am very glad, because all of those papers just confirms what I said from the beginning. The only thing I am concerned about, is, why do I have to go back to court if the charges are being dropped? Is it just a formality, or do you think the DA might have something up her sleeve? Please let me know what you think? Any input would be helpful

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">