• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help with Larceny (16 years old)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tr1p

I currently live in CT and am about to be charged with Larceny in the second degree (what the police officer said).

I have not yet been arrested; however, the cop has sent a warrant out to the courts for my arrest.

What happened was this:
After school me and a friend found a set of keys at my school and decided to keep them until that night so that we could drive the car. That night we went into the car and drove it around the school (just once, no more than a quarter mile). Afterwards, we parked it, left the keys in the ignition for the owner, and left. We forgot to close the windows and that night a snow storm came. As far as I know, no damage was done to the car, the owner is taking it to a shop to get it inspected.

So of course, everyone at school knew it was us because my friend told his girlfriend. We got a call from the police station, went down, and confessed everything in a written document. The police officer said that we will both probably get expelled and charged with 2nd degree larceny, which he said was a felony!

Both me and my friend are very very scared and we don't know what to do from here. We called the student and the father of the student whose car it was to apologize. Both of them seemed very polite and said "they have no axe to grind."

What I am wondering it:
Is there any way the charges will be dropped if we have the family's cooperation?
Is there any way to get the charges lessened? This was my first offense ever.
What would the charge be if it got reduced to a misdemeanor?
Is there anything I can do with the school to not get expelled?
Should I get a lawyer ASAP? We definitely have the finances for a lawyer.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Yes consult with a criminal defense Attorney ASAP speak with no one else on the matter including victims! You are in deep dog doo doo. Yes charges could be lessened or dropped but you dont wabt to assume that. Prepare for the worst and find a qualified Attorney.

Tr1p

How much say does the owner of the car have in the case?

Like, if he were to say, "I don't want him to get into trouble, and we will figure something out privately." Would that be enough to get the charges dismissed?

Hmm let me see********************************************************..... Nope sorry cant read minds I did try though! Ok smart@$$ comments aside we cant read minds you can certainly try. However a crime was committed and if by courts or parents there should be a punishment a simple I am sorry and I wont do it again encourages repeat behavior IMHO:D

Tr1p

Hmm let me see********************************************************..... Nope sorry cant read minds I did try though! Ok smart@$$ comments aside we cant read minds you can certainly try. However a crime was committed and if by courts or parents there should be a punishment a simple I am sorry and I wont do it again encourages repeat behavior IMHO:D
Okay, all I am asking is:
How much say does the owner of the car have in the police case? ie: dropping charges?

fairisfair

funny how you "found" a set of keys, and automatically knew which car they went to. Must be a really really small school. :rolleyes:

And I always make it a point to drive around with the windows down, RIGHT BEFORE A SNOW STORM, those balmy breezes are so pleasant then.

Silverplum

funny how you "found" a set of keys, and automatically knew which car they went to. Must be a really really small school. :rolleyes:

And I always make it a point to drive around with the windows down, RIGHT BEFORE A SNOW STORM, those balmy breezes are so pleasant then.
Fair is being facetious. She hasn't been in a snow storm for decades!

Now *I* know a snow storm when I drive in one. And I agree with Fair -- you guys are idjits. :rolleyes: :p

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">