• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help with a legal matter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

palominokari

What is the name of your state? texas

My brother was pickep up on a warrent back on january 15 and he is still in jail he got a public defender that he has not seen except at his court dates and the courts also keep reschedualing his court dates and we can't affored his bond can they legally keep him like this

CALIF-LAWPRO10

palominokari said:

My brother was pickep up on a warrent back on january 15 and he is still in jail he got a public defender that he has not seen except at his court dates and the courts also keep reschedualing his court dates and we can't affored his bond can they legally keep him like this

My response:

Yes. This is what happens to criminals, especially when they can't Bond out. Have him play a game of Monopoly. He may get a "Get out of Jail, Free" card.

IAAL

outonbail

palominokari said:

My brother was pickep up on a warrent back on january 15 and he is still in jail
Hmmm, obviously a felony warrant, concerning some rather serious charges.

he got a public defender that he has not seen except at his court dates
For the most part, this would be due to the fact that your brother is spending all of his days in jail, while the public defender spends his days in a court room. This is also why your brother gets to see him on his court dates.

and the courts also keep reschedualing his court dates and we can't affored his bond can they legally keep him like this
As long as he keeps waving his right to a speedy trial, the courts can reschedule and postpone his trial for years.
If you can't afford his bail, you are either very poor or he is facing some serious charges,,, or both.
Accordingly, subsequent to the court eventually taking him to trial, should he be found guilty, he can be sentenced to many many years in prison.

So you should ask yourself, is it possible that he did commit the crime(s) he's being charged with. If the answer is yes, you shouldn't be concerned with posting his bond, as he's where he belongs.
If the answer was yes, it's also probably just best for you to get used to having a brother behind bars. Then, learn from his mistakes and move on with your own life.

If you'd like to know how long it could take until he's allowed to pass go and collect $200.00, post back with what has he been charged with and provide some details of his prior criminal record. Then someone can plug all that information into the crystal ball and see what it spits out.

gawm

On a more positive note, your brother will receive credit for anytime served before his sentencing. That means if he serves 1 year before his conviction/plea bargain and gets sentenced to 5 years, that means he only has to do 4 more years. See, there's a positive in every negative. Now if he doesn't get convicted he cannot use that time for credit on any future crimes, so I then suggest he get on the straight and narrow. Good luck and remember to write him a lot, it really does make the time go by faster.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">