• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help! Myson needs help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tildawn

Help!! My son was seen with a platic toy gun on the bus. The little girl told her mother and she called the cops and the school. Now they called me and told me that Jim was not allowed in school. The "toy " gun was not even his it was his friend. They were just being little boys. He was not even playing with it the little boy gave it to my son the day before. My son took it to school to give it back to him. It is a TOY! What is his rights can they proscute him on a toy gun. He is a good kid a honor roll student.
When I say little boy I guess I mean young man he is 15 . It was a toy because I seen it and took it from him to make sure.

I can understand everyones concern but I do not believe he should get severly punished for this. He was just a kid acting like a kid. He threaten noone and was not playing with it. So what can we do ? What kind of punishment can they give?

T

tildawn

Please help me ! My sons furture is at stake it was just a toy gun!! nothing more!!

P

PamSJS

Dear Mom;

Regardless of yours sons intentions, he is a big boy, and should know the rules/regulations of the school system. If he has broken the rules, he will have to answer the charges leveled against him.

Sadly, we live in a "paranoid" society that is not tolerant of such behavior. The girl who notified her mother, who in turn notified the school and law enforcement, obviously felt she was in danger, or someone else was. As a mother of young children (6 & 8) I know it is very difficult sometimes to tell the difference between a toy gun and a real one.

As for your son justifying himself by stating he intended to return the "toy" to another student, he could have done so OFF OF SCHOOL PROPERTY! Now, "Junior" is in trouble with school officials, and Mom is trying to get him off the hook. Personally, I think you are doing your son a BIG disservice by trying to "explain his actions". Let him take responsibility for what he did by accepting the consequences. You may be avoiding bigger and more serious problems in the future, where defending him will send him the message that, no matter what he does, Mom will bail him out of trouble.

More than likely, he will be required to attend some type of school disciplinary hearing, where he will be given the opportunity to explain his actions. If this is his first offense, he probably won't be charged or severely disciplined (suspension).
If he is, you have the option of appealing to the school board.

Even good kids, (Honor Roll), get into trouble sometimes. A 15 year old is capable of making rational decisions, deciphering between right and wrong, and accepting the consequences for his behavior. Sometimes, we as parents have to step back and let our children take responsibility for their actions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">