• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help with New York statutory rape laws.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

squall

What is the name of your state?
New York

Not sure about this law, to my knowledge, as long as their is consent between both partners, it is not statutory rape if a 17 year old and a 14 year old have intercourse. I am not sure and would like to know more about this law, any other information about it would be greatly appreciated as well, thank you for your time.

stephenk

the purpose of statutory rape laws are to protect minors who, under the law, are unable to give consent to sexual intercourse.

She may have been willing, so it is not forcible rape, but under the law she was unable to "consent".

Why are you sleeping with 14 year olds?

S

squall

You mean why am I sleeping with a 17 year old. I thought that this forum was called free advice, not free advice with a dash of immature remarks. Well from what I gather from your reply I guess that it would be illegal, so I am not going to put my partner in that posistion. Thank you for a some what informative post.

stephenk

Honestly, what do a 14 year old and a 17 year old have in common? Assuming both have normal intelligence for their respective ages.

Do you think your 17 year old partner has an interest in you other than having sex?

K

Kittyscorpio

squall

It really depends on the laws in your state. More than likely aslong as he's not 18 yet your both still minors so its not statutory rape/ But you have to look at your states age of consent laws too. I don't see the big deal about her dating a guy who's 17 he's probably a junior and she's a freshman. my b/f is 21 and i'm 18 thats three years but since i'm 18 people don't look at it as he just wants sex.

stephenk

Most stat rape laws do not care if the male is underage. If the female is underage, the law has been violated. It was originally set up to avoid underage pregnancy.

However, some states have made their stat rape laws gender neutral. In reality, it is typically the girl's family that makes a complaint against the male partner.

S

squall

Thank you Kittyscorpio for your support, I am a freshman and he is a junior, at least we were, now summer is in! I didn't mention that becuase I didn't really think it would matter, and we really are only two and a half years appart.

"Honestly, what do a 14 year old and a 17 year old have in common? Assuming both have normal intelligence for their respective ages.

Do you think your 17 year old partner has an interest in you other than having sex?"

Well we have lots in common, music, same keen sense of humour, enojoy SOME of the same things, but we do like teasing eachother about certain things too, ie my height :p I could go on and on, but there is no reason, I posted this so I could find out information concerning these laws, in order to make a smart decision. I do appreciate your hard but guiding advice, now if you could help me with the age of consent in New York, that would be appreciated. And I don't believe that sex is the only thing he wants.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The age of consent in New York is 17. That means that since you are under 17, it is a misdemeanor for anyone of any age to be having sex with you. It your partner were over 18, it would be a second degree sexual offense. When he turns 18, since you will still be under 17, it will then become a 2nd degree sexual offense.

Dating is fine; no legal problems there. Having sex is a different story.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

squall said:
I thought that this forum was called free advice, not free advice with a dash of immature remarks.
My response to StephenK - -

With the above statement, I hope you can begin to understand, and appreciate, why I make it my policy not to respond to writers from New York, and New Jersey.

Good to have you on the forums.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">