• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help a noob please? Petty Larceny.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

randomperson12

Oklahoma

I was charged with Petty Larceny for a very small amount, and I have a court date coming up soon. I assume (but really do not know) that I need a lawyer? Can the state provide me with one? If so, how do I go about that? I have a clean record, and zero experience whatsoever with anything other than traffic tickets. I also find courtrooms/government buildings rather intimidating.

Do I just show up to court, or do I need to get a lawyer beforehand? What sort of preparations should I make?

thanks for your time :)

FlyingRon

Public defenders are for the indigent who can not afford an attorney not some default for those are disinclined to pay for their own counsel. If you think you are sufficiently poor to qualify see here: https://www.oklahomacounty.org/departments/PublicDefender/faq.asp This may not be the right county for you but it's more or less the same statewide. If you google your county name and "public defender" you probably could find it.

Your best bet (other than being found innocent which isn't likely to happen) is a diversion. A lawyer is your best option.

randomperson12

Public defenders are for the indigent who can not afford an attorney not some default for those are disinclined to pay for their own counsel. If you think you are sufficiently poor to qualify see here: https://www.oklahomacounty.org/departments/PublicDefender/faq.asp This may not be the right county for you but it's more or less the same statewide. If you google your county name and "public defender" you probably could find it.

Your best bet (other than being found innocent which isn't likely to happen) is a diversion. A lawyer is your best option.
thanks, I read the article you linked. It looks as if I will need a private attorney. What is a diversion?

Proserpina

Oklahoma

I was charged with Petty Larceny for a very small amount, and I have a court date coming up soon. I assume (but really do not know) that I need a lawyer? Can the state provide me with one? If so, how do I go about that? I have a clean record, and zero experience whatsoever with anything other than traffic tickets. I also find courtrooms/government buildings rather intimidating.

Do I just show up to court, or do I need to get a lawyer beforehand? What sort of preparations should I make?

thanks for your time :)

Turn up for court, plead not guilty and request a PD if you can't afford an attorney. The attorney can guide you, and you can read this in the meantime:

http://www.oklahomalegalgroup.com/news/diversion-programs-offer-alternative-to-prison

General info: Be polite, neat and tidy, and respectful.

And don't worry - court scares the living daylights out of most people who aren't attorneys, and you didn't murder anyone or rip off millions. :)

FlyingRon

Unless you are in custody in Oklahoma, it would behoove you to make your application BEFORE arriving in court. Yes you can wait until then, but it is going to string things out. Follow my advice to find your county's PD office and follow their advice (most likely similar to the Oklahoma County one I provided in the link above).

FlyingRon

Prison is unlikely even without diversion. What diversion really avoids is a lifetime criminal record, which is a good thing as well!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">