• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HELP!! Received a counterfeit $20 w/o Knowing!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

caspar1983

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MAINE.

Hello. Please help me... I was given a counterfeit $20 bill by someone without my knowing, and I went to the store trying to buy something and attempted to use it. The clerk informed me it was counterfeit and the cops were called. I paid with other money in my pocket. (obviously real) I gave the officer the $20 and let him know that I had no clue it was fake. I seriously had no clue. It was only 1 $20 I received, and now I have just been summonsed for "AGGRAVATED FORGERY" A CLASS B FELONY!!!

Before I was summonsed (It took 3 days for the cops to come back with a summons) I called the person who gave me the $20 and she claimed she did not know, and started pointing fingers etc. I took down all the names and numbers that I could. I have since provided the police with all the information that I know, including the persons name who gave me the $20.

I do have a criminal record, NOTHING major like this. Its been over a year since I have been in any trouble, not even a ticket... CAN YOU PLEASE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE?? Especially, do you think that they will really try to stick me with an "aggravated forgery" charge considering that A: I had no clue, and B: It was just one bill. Its not like they caught me producing mass amounts or anything! What do you think will happen to me? ANY INFORMATION would be GREATLY appreciated! I have cooperated with the police as best as I am able, providing them with several names and numbers, as well as their address. THANK YOU!! I AM SERIOUSLY STRESSED ABOUT THIS!!!

W

Willlyjo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MAINE.

Hello. Please help me... I was given a counterfeit $20 bill by someone without my knowing, and I went to the store trying to buy something and attempted to use it. The clerk informed me it was counterfeit and the cops were called. I paid with other money in my pocket. (obviously real) I gave the officer the $20 and let him know that I had no clue it was fake. I seriously had no clue. It was only 1 $20 I received, and now I have just been summonsed for "AGGRAVATED FORGERY" A CLASS B FELONY!!!

Before I was summonsed (It took 3 days for the cops to come back with a summons) I called the person who gave me the $20 and she claimed she did not know, and started pointing fingers etc. I took down all the names and numbers that I could. I have since provided the police with all the information that I know, including the persons name who gave me the $20.

I do have a criminal record, NOTHING major like this. Its been over a year since I have been in any trouble, not even a ticket... CAN YOU PLEASE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE?? Especially, do you think that they will really try to stick me with an "aggravated forgery" charge considering that A: I had no clue, and B: It was just one bill. Its not like they caught me producing mass amounts or anything! What do you think will happen to me? ANY INFORMATION would be GREATLY appreciated! I have cooperated with the police as best as I am able, providing them with several names and numbers, as well as their address. THANK YOU!! I AM SERIOUSLY STRESSED ABOUT THIS!!!
I hardly think they can build a case against you based on the fact you had a conterfeit 20 dollar bill in your possession. The reality is that anyone can be unfortunate enough to be a victim of a passed counterfeit note. Unless there is something more to this than what you've posted, I don't see how you could possibly get in trouble here.

CdwJava

The state will likely have to show that this was a knowing and intentional act. Depending on what you might have said, this may not be very easy.

Consult legal counsel.

W

Willlyjo

The state will likely have to show that this was a knowing and intentional act. Depending on what you might have said, this may not be very easy.

Consult legal counsel.
Thank you very much!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">