• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help! Theft charge for unpaid paycheck advance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ambergreen99

What is the name of your state? WASHINGTON STATE

I worked as a nanny for a short period of time, the family paid me a month in advance every month. I left the position in May because I was having a lot of problems with the family/job etc. Anyways, I left in the middle of the month, so I know I owe them $420. I told them I would repay when I had the money. Anyways, time has gone on and I completely forgot about it and I never heard anything from them. I emailed them yesterday to ask about how taxes will work and I get an email back stating that if I dont repay them by April, they are pressing charges against me. They said they are charging me with Theft 2nd Degree (RCW 9A.56.040) which is a felony! I understand I need to repay them, but a felony! That seems crazy to me, I never purposely stole from them or anything like that, I don't even consider it stealing. I would repay them but I am a very low-income person who is pregnant, unable to work right now and trying to take care of my family. I start school in March. I am unsure what do to about this! My question is: Can I actually be charged with this? If so, what should I do?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">