• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help - US Border Cimes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Taiya

ok, I was really stupid and I lied to the border officer. They took my finger prints and I guess I'm on some kind of list now to watch for. The officer said it was going to be hard for me to get into the states now, because I'll have to show proof that I will be heading back to canada. I wasn't banned or anything but how long will I be on this list for? Does anyone know? I know I'm stupid :( . If your banned from the us it's for like 5 years right, so will I be on this list for 5 years?

Taiya

Oh, and because i did that, will show up my criminal record check? Is there any hope for me? i didn't go to jail and all they gave me was a piece of paper saying that I was denied entry into the US and another piece of paper saying what I had to bring to the border to prove my equities in Canada.

L

LegalWithAnI

for some reason I thought that Canadians could enter and exit the US at their pleasure.

Taiya

Does anyone know what the legal matters are surrounding border crimes? I can't seem to find any relevent information on my situation on the internet.

HappyHusband

Does anyone know what the legal matters are surrounding border crimes? I can't seem to find any relevent information on my situation on the internet.
There is a little bit of Federal law on the subject, Title 8 of the U.S. Code.....

8 U.S.C. § 1325. Improper entry by alien

(a) Improper time or place; avoidance of examination or inspection; misrepresentation and concealment of facts

Any alien who
(1) enters or attempts to enter the United States at any time or place other than as designated by immigration officers, or

(2) eludes examination or inspection by immigration officers, or

(3) attempts to enter or obtains entry to the United States by a willfully false or misleading representation or the willful concealment of a material fact, shall, for the first commission of any such offense, be fined under title 18 or imprisoned not more than 6 months, or both, and, for a subsequent commission of any such offense, be fined under title 18, or imprisoned not more than 2 years, or both.

xylene

Your thinking of Mexico and the apparent belief their citizens have concerning the US border.
Yeah, plus Canadians are white tourists and Mexicans are Spanish Speaking Latinos who are wrecking our country with hard work and aspirations of citizenship.

Taiya

anyone have advise on the matter? Something that I could do to get rid of the charges. I'm just leaning on any possible hope to clear it.

Taiya

Yea, thats a good question too..... I know this will sound nieve, but I don't know if I was charged or not. Does having your finger prints taken mean that you've been charged? Is the law different at the border? I didn't think it did but I'm not too sure. I've never been in trouble with the law before and this was a silly stupid mistake I made.

Like I mentioned before they just took my finger prints (adding it to their data base), took my information, gave me a piece of paper saying I was denied entry into the US that day and let me go. :(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">