• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Helping a co-worker get away from her wrong doings

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ravendadoll

Maryland- Hello, i was formally an employee at Kmart and a lady came there around last December and she seemed ok. Recently around July , she began to come to my register asking if I can scan items and put them in a bag. And honeslty I didnt know what to do. Then she asked me to void some items she wasnt going to pay for. Out of fear I did it and she paid for half of the purchase . Anyways shes done it about 4 times and after that they were already investingating what was going on. When she first did it, I wanted to stop her and I told I dont think it was right and felt something tap me on my shoulder and hearing stop and I didnt listen. Mind you this lady is a little older than me about early 40's and shes bigger. I've seen the way she talks and goes back and fourth and arguing with other people before . She even talks abrsively about wanting to fight with people just because they caught an attitude with her and I didnt want to get into all that with her and lose my job. So I just allowed her to get her way. I personally havent stoled anything and i was just so intimidated that I didnt know if i should have told or keep letting her get her way. I should have told right and just allow her to bump head with me . Would have been better . But then If i did she also could have taken her own action outside of work. Shes a harsh lady and im too nice of a person so I really dont know what to do im scared and I believe they are going to send us to court soon and we have to pay back something. But i dont understand I dont have nothing nor did I steal anything . But it was my fault because I let her just get away and was helping her. She even brought her mother in there and did it right in front of her face. Im just lost and scared. I didnt want to do anything of that nature but what can I do when fear kicks in.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Maryland- Hello, i was formally an employee at Kmart and a lady came there around last December and she seemed ok. Recently around July , she began to come to my register asking if I can scan items and put them in a bag. And honeslty I didnt know what to do. Then she asked me to void some items she wasnt going to pay for. Out of fear I did it and she paid for half of the purchase . Anyways shes done it about 4 times and after that they were already investingating what was going on. When she first did it, I wanted to stop her and I told I dont think it was right and felt something tap me on my shoulder and hearing stop and I didnt listen. Mind you this lady is a little older than me about early 40's and shes bigger. I've seen the way she talks and goes back and fourth and arguing with other people before . She even talks abrsively about wanting to fight with people just because they caught an attitude with her and I didnt want to get into all that with her and lose my job. So I just allowed her to get her way. I personally havent stoled anything and i was just so intimidated that I didnt know if i should have told or keep letting her get her way. I should have told right and just allow her to bump head with me . Would have been better . But then If i did she also could have taken her own action outside of work. Shes a harsh lady and im too nice of a person so I really dont know what to do im scared and I believe they are going to send us to court soon and we have to pay back something. But i dont understand I dont have nothing nor did I steal anything . But it was my fault because I let her just get away and was helping her. She even brought her mother in there and did it right in front of her face. Im just lost and scared. I didnt want to do anything of that nature but what can I do when fear kicks in.
So you want an excuse for being a thief? You have stolen things. You are much as a thief as the older woman. You have no defense.

commentator

Yes, it's pretty obvious you are "flying" this story here, seeing if it works well. Poor little me, and I was a meek little thing, afraid of a "harsh" woman at work, and I'm just so passive and I just kept doing this because like, man, she could've caught me after work and hurt me or my family (be sure to use that one!) so I was scared and I went along, but I didn't get nothing or steal nothing. I was under such terrible pressure.....When you get to court, ask for a public defender if you cannot afford an attorney. DO NOT get to court without legal representation and try to weasel this story around into them letting you slide and prosecuting the other woman. Let your attorney talk for you and advise you about what to say and not to say.

You do realize, don't you, that by this time, this other woman's story is that you came to her and suggested that she bring these things up to your register and you showed her how to scan things and get them for a different price, that she never got the stuff, she gave it back to you, but she was SOOOO afraid because even though you may look like a defenseless young thing, you have relatives that would've messed her up if she hadn't gone along with you, so man, she was so scared and you even made her get her momma involved**************.ho hum.

When you are working at a store, and the store gets robbed at gunpoint by a person who threatens you, you are scared, yes. Actual threat exists. But you still call the cops and report you were robbed, you don't just get so scared about your own personal welfare that you disregard the interests of your employer and let this same person come in and rob you every day repeatedly. That makes you as big a party to the theft as they are, whether they shared the loot with you or not.

Last edited:

justalayman

I amazed at how stupid the story is yet op is considering attempting to use it as an excuse to her/his complicity in the theft. I think the op should plan on a future with a criminal record and if this has risen to the level of a felony, a record that will radically affect just about every aspect of their life.

ravendadoll

Actually , its not an excuse it is the truth , I felt like i was being bullied into doing it. I know it was stupid and I could have walked away but if your already to deep and she already did it once what can you do. Workplace bullies do exist so therefore its not stupid. You haven't been victimized so you don't know what its like. Nobody was in my shoes that do so honestly the don't know what the pressure felt like. But I mean if you think its an excuse then so be it .

commentator

Just saying, do not take this one to court. particularly with the "you don't know what I was going through, YOU haven't been victimized, you don't know what the pressure felt like" Only a very young and dumb person would ever say something like this, as you have absolutely no idea what sort of lives or victimizations or traumas any of the people you are speaking to have been through. We're just saying we don't believe you, don't feel sorry for you, and if we have this reaction, you can bet your biffy that the court system will have an equally harsh attitude. Get an attorney, use them, let them do your apologetics.

justalayman

Actually , its not an excuse it is the truth , I felt like i was being bullied into doing it. I know it was stupid and I could have walked away but if your already to deep and she already did it once what can you do. Workplace bullies do exist so therefore its not stupid. You haven't been victimized so you don't know what its like. Nobody was in my shoes that do so honestly the don't know what the pressure felt like. But I mean if you think its an excuse then so be it .
You start with not doing it the first time.

pressure? what pressure?

and she seemed ok. Recently around July , she began to come to my register asking if I can scan items and put them in a bag. And honeslty I didnt know what to do.
well, at that point it sounds like normal check out activity so you scan items and place them in bags as it always done at checkouts.

Then she asked me to void some items she wasnt going to pay for. Out of fear I did it and she paid for half of the purchase
where is there a reason for fear? She ASKED you to void items she wasn't going to pay for. So, at this point you go; no, I cannot do that. If she says anything other than ok you go; hold on a second and let me call a manager for you.

anyway, you have no reason, alibi, justification, or any other term you might consider to excuse your actions.

§ 7-104.
(a) A person may not willfully or knowingly obtain or exert unauthorized control over property, if the person:

(1) intends to deprive the owner of the property;

(2) willfully or knowingly uses, conceals, or abandons the property in a manner that deprives the owner of the property; or

(3) uses, conceals, or abandons the property knowing the use, concealment, or abandonment probably will deprive the owner of the property.
(f) Under this section, an offender's intention or knowledge that a promise would not be performed may not be established by or inferred solely from the fact that the promise was not performed.

(g) (1) A person convicted of theft of property or services with a value of $500 or more is guilty of a felony and:

(i) is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 15 years or a fine not exceeding $25,000 or both; and

(ii) shall restore the property taken to the owner or pay the owner the value of the property or services.

(2) Except as provided in paragraphs (3) and (4) of this subsection, a person convicted of theft of property or services with a value of less than $500, is guilty of a misdemeanor and:

(i) is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 18 months or a fine not exceeding $500 or both; and

(ii) shall restore the property taken to the owner or pay the owner the value of the property or services.

(3) A person convicted of theft of property or services with a value of less than $100 is guilty of a misdemeanor and:

(i) is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 90 days or a fine not exceeding $500 or both; and

so if the value exceeded $500, it is a felony and you could go to prison for up to 15 years AND/or a fine of up to $25,000.

and then you also must reimburse KMart for the losses.

Proserpina

And I'm not the nice one, so I'll say this:

Give. Me. A. Break.

If a bunch of strangers online don't believe you, what do you think your chances are of getting away with such an obvious scam?

Bueller?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Unless woman was the store manager, you have no excuse. You could have alerted your manager OR security.

And if she WAS the store manager - then you go report it to whoever is next up in corporation hierarchy.

Knowingly helping someone commit a crime *is* a crime.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
EXCUSE. You are still a thief. that is a LEGAL fact. Realize it and own up to it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">