• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Here goes...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dumbmistake

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Nevada

I tired posting this under a different area, but got not response, so I thought I would try here as well. Thank you for any who have time to read this.

Okay, so, as you can tell by my name, I did something completely stupid. But I have a few questions now that it has happened. Please know that I am not sorry that I got caught, but truly sorry for the action (please see below).

I, out of some greed, desparation and morbid stupidity, took some items from my work and sold them online (to people in other states no less). I did this at least 40-50 times, and the value of the items varied from $30 to $350. I stopped taking things about 2 months before I was eventually found out, and my employment was terminated once someone did find out. At that point, I returned the items I had taken but not sold. That was over 6 months ago. I am sure that a police report was filed, although I am not sure of when. In the meantime, I walk around feeling very regretful that I deprived these people of something that was theirs and I am obviously very worried about the future.

My questions are:

1) If a police report was filed, does that mean prosecution is assured?
2) If prosecuted, is this case likely to be local or federal?
3) How long can it take for someone to decide to prosecute such a case?
4) Is there any value to having an attorney on my case before anything has happened to me? (I've not been arrested or charged with anything at this point)
5) If I were to plead guilty (as I feel would probably be best), is there any possibility of getting just probation and avoiding a prison term? (it would be my first offense, if that matters)

Sincerely regretting that I learned my lesson too late,
DumbMistake

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">