• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit list found from a student.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DRob123

What is the name of your state? Montana

We recently found a very disturbing letter from a student who lived with us for over a year. The letter though is around 2 years old as far as we can tell. The letter states "I'm making a list of people that I want to kill" then goes on to list 5 people, 4 students and one teacher. This student while living with us obviously had some emotional problems and was fairly abusive towards other students and anyone who angered him. Usually just verbally though. The letter claims that those are only the top 5, basically stating that there are more people on his hit list not listed there. It was written to another student who is currently fairly terrified of him. Since this letter was around 2 years old should it be treated seriously by the school and police department? Thank you ahead of time for your opinions.

Edit: I forgot to mention this student is currently 18 years old, but at the time he wrote it, he was probably around 16.
Also forgot to ask, if the school & authorities do take this seriously, what will possibly happen to this student who wrote the hit list?

Last edited:

JETX

Though this is an old letter and may no longer be relevant, it is imperative that you notify the authorities of its existence. There is a potential risk out there for those that were named, as well as others. Turn this over to the local police as soon as possible. I can't imagine the guilt that you would feel if you don't turn this information over, and something were to happen to one of the named persons.

D

DRob123

Thank you, we definately are turning this in to the police today. We are also meeting with the school on Tuesday. This is very close and personal too, the person the letter was addressed to was my little sister. This kid who lived with us, was at one time her boyfriend. Since he was asked to leave our house (For very good reasons, including emotional abuse & various other reasons) he's gone from starting nasty rumors about my sister and one of her friends at school, to filing bogus assault charges against them (He's 6'3" my sister is about 5'3") The judge ruled he was unbelievable and threw out the order of protection he was requesting. Now its escalated to the point of we've had our car vandalized 3 times in the past 2 months and 2 weeks. Two of the times it was my sisters car, one of which she saw him walking out towards where her car was parked. The last vandalism took place at our home in the middle of the night and the car was very badly smashed. The police officer who looked at the car said it appeared to have been done with a large metal pipe of some sort (It punctured the bumper leaving about a 2 1/2 inch in diameter hole in the bumper, as well as the trunk was caved in and the rear tailight was broken out). The other two attacks on our cars were, a broken window and the front of my sisters car hit with something that broke out a headlight, the grill, and badly dented the hood. The actual headlight was broken to the point where it had pushed back into the car and was almost up against the battery.

We know that IF he has a new hit list (He's the type who writes letters to people constantly, so there probably is at least one fairly recent hitlist of his), who is at the very top of it now. This wasn't really whether or not we were going to turn it in, it was more of a question of is the school/police going to take it seriously based on the age of the letter. I hope they do...this kid lived with us for 14 months.. We know that it will keep escalating, and that he has no line that he wont cross and his violent outbursts go back to as early as 10 years old, which was confirmed by a relative of his, and bragged about by him.

Thank you for your opinion on this. I hope the school and authorities will take it seriously..... I don't know what to do if they don't take it seriously though or do anything about it. He knows just about everything about us including where we live, since he lived with us for over a year...due to us feeling sorry for him and trying to help him out when he left his bad home life.

D

DRob123

Just a update, we did turn it into the police this morning and they did think it was very serious. They also know about the vandalism, and one of the detectives was going to talk to that kid about that anyway and basically tell him that they knew he had something to do with my little sisters car being smashed up and then my parents car being smashed up. As for the letter, that went to the same detective. I'm not sure what is going to be done about it yet, hopefully we will hear something soon. I know when I went to this school there were certain students I didn't like, and certain teachers I didn't like...but I would never even on the worst day I ever had at school, write a hit list or even joke about wanting to kill someone. I hope that out of all this, this kid gets the help that he really needs.

We are meeting with the school soon about the letter, vandalism, and other issues with this guy early next week.

Unfortunately the police officer we talked to who was taking it very seriously thinks that the school will blow it off as something not serious. I guess it wouldn't really surprise me if the school does, since this school seems to have a tendancy to bury their heads in the sand when there is a serious problem and hope it goes away. After the type of school violence that has happened fairly recently, along with a gun being brought to This school This year by another kid, you'd think this school would be Very jumpy about something like this and wouldn't want to take any chances. Who knows though...

Anyway, thank you JETX for your reply, and thanks to the hosts of this board for giving people a place to ask questions like this. Sorry this was kind of a venting rant, we are still very concerned and worried over what is going to happen especially since his behavior is much much worse now than it was when he actually wrote the note :(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">