• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Home Video Surveillance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

goingbroke123

What is the name of your state? California.

Over the past 5 weeks I have had well over $1000 in damage to my property, mostly my vehicles. I've filed 5 police reports and I am certain that I am being targeted. I'm also nearly certain that I know who is doing it. When the police came after the 3rd report, they said assuming it is the same person, it is now a felony. I'm assuming this is true, although I really don't know anything about that sort of thing.

But really, there's nothing that the police can do, and as much as it angers me, I understand that, so I have just been sucking it up and paying for the damages. They said the last time or two that "if it keeps happening, we'll have to investigate further, but there's not much we can do right now". I'm really tired of hearing that :(

After the 4th instance, I decided to invest in a home video surveillance system. Before I finished getting everything setup and ready to go, the 5th instance happened - this was incredibly frustrating, because I more than likely could have caught them had I finished setting up the system (and who knows if they will come back - they may get smart eventually). When the police came out for the 5th instance, we did tell them about the cameras and they seemed to think it was a wonderful idea.

Now that I've finished setting the system up, I began to worry about the legalities of it. I'm sure it is legal to surveillance my own home and property. However, the video system I purchased also records audio. Should I be concerned about the audio recording? Should I opt to NOT record the audio? I was recording yesterday (during the day) in testing the system out and I could nearly make out the conversations of kids across the street (~30 feet away), playing basketball.

The cameras are well concealed because I do NOT want people knowing that they are there. While I would love for the vandalism to stop, I would much rather it continue because I want to catch this person - I don't want to just scare them away! Is this something that I will need to be concerned about? Do I need to put up notice that the cameras are there, since they are incredibly difficult to see?

Do I need to be concerned about the fact that the cameras are pointing at my neighbor's house? I need to capture the entire street in the video and about half of my neighbor's house is easily visible in one camera, and entirely visible in the other.

I really just want to make sure that I cover all bases so that if they do indeed come back and it is the person I think it is (or whoever is doing it!), I can use the recorded video as evidence.

I did do a search of the forums and found a number of other threads similar to mine, but none seemed to deal with the fact that they are experiencing vandalism.

Thanks for any help!

CdwJava

When the police came after the 3rd report, they said assuming it is the same person, it is now a felony. I'm assuming this is true, although I really don't know anything about that sort of thing.
If it is the same person, and they tally the damages together, then it's a felony once it goes over $400. Otherwise, this might be charged as several counts of misdemeanor vandalism.

When the police came out for the 5th instance, we did tell them about the cameras and they seemed to think it was a wonderful idea.
They are.

Now that I've finished setting the system up, I began to worry about the legalities of it. I'm sure it is legal to surveillance my own home and property. However, the video system I purchased also records audio. Should I be concerned about the audio recording? Should I opt to NOT record the audio? I was recording yesterday (during the day) in testing the system out and I could nearly make out the conversations of kids across the street (~30 feet away), playing basketball.
Turn off the audio. You could find yourself in trouble for the audio, but not the video. heck, you could record anywhere on the street if the cameras are mounted on your property ... provided they aren't on a freakishly long pole to look into a neighbor's yard. And, the audio MIGHT be okay provided there was no expectation of privacy in the conversation and that the conversation was able to be overheard by the naked ear (no device used to enhance the audio). However, it is very likely that the audio system is very sensitive and you really don't want to be on the defensive in this. Try turning off the audio for now and take it from there. You can always turn it on later.

Do I need to put up notice that the cameras are there, since they are incredibly difficult to see?
No signs necessary.

Do I need to be concerned about the fact that the cameras are pointing at my neighbor's house?
No problem there. You can see their house from your yard, right? Then a camera can, too.

- Carl

goingbroke123

Thanks very much for all your help. I turned off the audio shortly after creating my thread as a precautionary so I will leave it off.

Thanks again! :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">