• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

House egging and possible punishment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lowejj

Pennsylvania:
What punishments am I facing, and how can I minimize them?

I was with 2 of my friends, and we egged a house. The cops arrived at the drivers house as someone got the license plate, and they immediately gave the information or me up. After talking with the police, I found that I was being charged with a disorderly conduct charge. This would be my first time offense, I am 18 years old, and as far as I know, the damage to the house is not too significant. I will be representing myself in court, so any information about what charges/punishments/and methods of minimizing the punishments I should take. I understand restitution will be a part of my fee, but what else? And how can I minimize it/divert from it completely if possible. Also if it was a disorderly conduct, will this be on my record permanently or will it be expunged after a year?
Thank you

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Pennsylvania:

I was with 2 of my friends, and we egged a house. The cops arrived at the drivers house as someone got the license plate, and they immediately gave the information or me up. After talking with the police, I found that I was being charged with a disorderly conduct charge. This would be my first time offense, I am 18 years old, and as far as I know, the damage to the house is not too significant. I will be representing myself in court, so any information about what charges/punishments/and methods of minimizing the punishments I should take. I understand restitution will be a part of my fee, but what else? And how can I minimize it/divert from it completely if possible. Also if it was a disorderly conduct, will this be on my record permanently or will it be expunged after a year?
Thank you
Representing yourself means you have a fool for a client. You need counsel. You need to find out if diversion is possible -- is the individual's house you egged amenable to that or not? How much damage was to the house? A couple hundred? A couple thousand?

tranquility

Representing yourself means you have a fool for a client. You need counsel. You need to find out if diversion is possible -- is the individual's house you egged amenable to that or not? How much damage was to the house? A couple hundred? A couple thousand?
I agree. If you have been actually charged, you need an attorney.

In the olden, olden, olden days, such things were not really anything other than an award. Today? Not so much. While I have not done it for many years, I bet I could still do the three-step toss that lets toilet paper fly with the proper amount of force that could cover a fairly high branch.

Get an attorney. There are always issues. There are always negotiations. There is always a hope the people on some jury recognize what you did is not a crime.

I mean, if it was. Egging is different from toilet paper and the reason matters. The worse the reason, the more you need an attorney.

quincy

Pennsylvania:

Thank you
lowejj, following is a link to the disorderly conduct law in Pennsylvania, which can be charged as either a misdemeanor of the third degree or as a summary offense, depending on the intent. See Section 5503.

Chapter 55, Riot, Disorderly Conduct and Related Offenses:
http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/legis/LI/consCheck.cfm?txtType=HTM&ttl=18&div=0&chpt=55

And here is a link to offenses and the penalties:
http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/101/chapter15/s15.66.html

Because there is the possibility of jail time, whether you are charged with a summary offense or a misdemeanor, and you want the best possible outcome (i.e., reduced charge, dismissal, diversion), you should speak with an attorney in your area prior to your first hearing date. The attorney you see can tell you how best to approach this. Good luck.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">