• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I charge someone(s)?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

OrenKw

Hello. For reference, I am located in Columbus Ohio.

My question is this: how do I take someone(s) to court for violating criminal sections of the Ohio Revised Code? Is this even possible?

Detail:

A student organization on the Ohio State University campus was hosting a speaker; the event took place in a university building, and was sanctioned by the university. Another group was present for the speaker and, during the event, they stood up and lined up against the wall in silent protest. At the conclusion of the speech, they began loudly chanting repeatedly inflammatory statements and wouldn't be quiet. There were additional speakers planned, but they had to be cancelled due to the 'security threat'. They were asked to be quiet and asked to leave, but refused.

SO - I looked up the Ohio Revised code and found them in violation of 2917.12 Disturbing a lawful meeting, 2917.11 Disorderly conduct, and 2917.03 Riot.

Is there a case here? How would I go about setting it up? What do I need to prepare? Or, since no arrests were made, am I SOL? Do I need to go civil?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Oren

J

justathought

Dude... Way too much CourtTV!

In order for *you* to charge them, you're going to need to finish law school, pass the bar, get some experience, get elected/hired as a prosecutor... If the statute of limitations isn't out by then and you think you can prove it--go nuts! ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">