• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I know if a check is fraudulent?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

studiopro

I recieved an email through Ebay, informing me he was purchasing my item, and would be sending a check. The check I recieved was in the amount of $3500. Suppossedly the rest was a donation, as I am trying to sell on Ebay to save up for another vehicle.
It is an open and active checking account through a well known bank here in the states, but they could not, or would not tell me if it was fraudulent or not.

I need to know what could happen to me, if in fact I do deposit it and wait the 12 days, per the bank's request. And assuming it will clear, according to the bank, then what?

rmet4nzkx

The bank can't tell you if the check is fraudulent or not until they process it and then some. It sounds like a scam, the only way you will know will be to deposit it and wait, do not send anything until you are sure it is a legal check also make copies of the check, let your bank make copies and don't spent the money until it is clear the status of the check. What state are you in? What state is the check from?

studiopro

Fraud Check?

I live in Oklahoma, and the check was issued from Wells Fargo Bank in Texas.

I have not done anything with the check at all. I am far too worried, despite how badly I need the money, to cash or deposit it.

I have already been scammed once, and then they hacked my PC. They took money from my Paypal account, and what little was in my checking account, and, as off the wall as it sounds, I recieved, what I lossely refer to as "self-destructing" emails. The moment I replied to any emails from a "suppossed" scam patrol, the emails from the guy literally dissappeared from my computer. I informed my bank, ebay, paypal, and even the police saw for them selves, although it did no good to report it, for nothing was done about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">