• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I prosecute?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kpren514

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I was living with a man who has been to prison in the past for credit card fraud. I moved out at the beginning of this month. I just got a statement from my credit card company listing a charge that I did not authorize, for a service that I know he uses. I never told him that he was allowed to make this charge, and he is not an authorized user on my account. The charge is only for $20, but I think it might be a recurring charge...even so, fraud is fraud, and he has 10 prior felonies for the same crime. My question is this: how do I go about prosecuting him for this? With his record, I'm sure he would end up back in jail, which is probably where he belongs anyhow. I have taken it up with the credit card company's disputement department, but do I have to call the police as well?

racer72

With such a low amount the police probably won't do much, especially if the credit card company will take care of the unauthorized use of the credit card. You can call the police, don't expect much.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I was living with a man who has been to prison in the past for credit card fraud. I moved out at the beginning of this month. I just got a statement from my credit card company listing a charge that I did not authorize, for a service that I know he uses. I never told him that he was allowed to make this charge, and he is not an authorized user on my account. The charge is only for $20, but I think it might be a recurring charge...even so, fraud is fraud, and he has 10 prior felonies for the same crime. My question is this: how do I go about prosecuting him for this? With his record, I'm sure he would end up back in jail, which is probably where he belongs anyhow. I have taken it up with the credit card company's disputement department, but do I have to call the police as well?
Call the non-emergency number for the police department and file a complaint. A detective will investigate and charges will be filed after the investigation is complete. The statment that the police probably won't do anything is false. You are right, a crime is a crime. Although this may not be a major felony, you still have the right to press charges and seek justice. You will need to prove that he was the one that made the charge and dispute the charge with the CC company. Best of luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">