• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I prove she is lying

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lovenmyff

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? virginia

Ok, I made a really bad judgement call a few weeks ago and took some money from someone. She called the cops and the investigators got involved. She claimed it was $500 and I only took $200. I ended up giving her back the entire amount ($500) since that is what she was claiming. (I know it was a stupid mistake but I figured that since I was going to plead guilty then I would have to pay it back anyway.) Now that I have an attorney and a court date set I really want to prove that she is lying about the ammount, or at least get the money that really wasn't hers back. How should I go about doing that since she said that I really took the entire amount when I know that I didn't. My attorney said that he doesn't believe in polygraph tests since he has had several people take them that were truly guilty and pass them. I want the judge to see that she is the one who is constantly lying and especially in court. I didn't take that amount from her and I am willing to do anything that I need to to (I guess get her back). I know what I did was wrong and that is why I came forward. But now she is the one who is lying and I want my money back. Please help me with ideas that I can pass a long to the attorney. because if I can prove that she is lying about the amount, not only will I get MY money back but I can prove that she filed a false police report. Help me please.:mad:

Proserpina

You paid her back the full $500 - this is basically an admission of guilt.

What did your attorney say when you asked this question?

CdwJava

Sooo ... your strategy is to admit guilt to theft so that you can get her in trouble for lying about the amount of the theft?

This may not be a good idea. Unless you can prove that she knowingly and intentionally lied - as opposed to being mistaken - this strategy may not do much good.

Making a false report to the police is a misdemeanor, your theft is likely a felony - is this a path you want to travel down?

lovenmyff

my attorney said that he will look into it. she is filing for bankruptcy too. and my husband had some emails with her that prove that i gave her back the entire amount she claimed and that i only took the $200. I gave my attorney the emails and he said to write it off since all he was looking to do was damage control. the thing of it is, we know she is lying and i know that the charges on me are a felony but if we can prove that she was not sure as to how much was taken then at least we can get our money back. at the time my husband was ok with me giving back the entire amount since she admitted to giving back what was not taken. now we just have to get her to say it in court. if he still has contact with her through the work place are there any ideas that he can maybe trick her into admitting she lied about the amount?

Proserpina

my attorney said that he will look into it. she is filing for bankruptcy too. and my husband had some emails with her that prove that i gave her back the entire amount she claimed and that i only took the $200. I gave my attorney the emails and he said to write it off since all he was looking to do was damage control. the thing of it is, we know she is lying and i know that the charges on me are a felony but if we can prove that she was not sure as to how much was taken then at least we can get our money back. at the time my husband was ok with me giving back the entire amount since she admitted to giving back what was not taken. now we just have to get her to say it in court. if he still has contact with her through the work place are there any ideas that he can maybe trick her into admitting she lied about the amount?

Let your attorney do the work.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">