• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I report filing a false police report?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

awillia87

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan
In july of 2008 I filed a false domestic assault report. It led to the person being convicted and sentenced to maximum sentence even though he had never done anything to me. It is ruining his life and I want to go to the police to let them know I filed a false police report. How do I go about doing this? Do I just go to the police station and tell them what I did? What kind of consequenses do I face? I've never been in trouble and I don't want this to ruin my career either.

Proserpina

In july of 2008 I filed a false domestic assault report. It led to the person being convicted and sentenced to maximum sentence even though he had never done anything to me. It is ruining his life and I want to go to the police to let them know I filed a false police report. How do I go about doing this? Do I just go to the police station and tell them what I did? What kind of consequenses do I face? I've never been in trouble and I don't want this to ruin my career either.

You need an attorney.

(very simply)

CdwJava

If he was convicted based upon your testimony,and you are now wanting to admit that you lied to the police and at court, you need an attorney. It is commendable that you might want to do the right thing (assuming you are not lying to try and help him), but you likely face serious prison time with such a confession - not to mention that he can likely sue you into the gutter.

Consult local counsel.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">