• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to drop charges???? PLEASE HELP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

james135

What is the name of your state?Hi im from New York state and my sister and her boyfriend got into a fight(verbal).My sister tried to take something from him and he pushed her away in a non violent way.But she was extremly mad so she called the cops and signed a statement, he was arrested.Also he's on 3 years misdemeanor probation and 1 year ACD.My sister relized that he didn't do anything wrong to her and that she was just caught up in the heat of the moment.So she called the judge to ask if she could drop the charges and was told "You just pressed the charges yesterday and now you want to drop them, no you can't."Is this true or not?If there is any way to stop him from going to jail please tell me im desperate for help. Thanks

Last edited:

Domestic Violence

In domestic violence cases, the accused can be prosecuted with or without the assistance of the "victim." Many times, when a person is abused, they initially press charges and changes minds later. The law realized this was a problem; therefore, the law changed to permit prosecution without the cooperation of the alleged victim. They can use her statement in court. However, when questioned, she can denounce her statement, which makes her to be a liar, for which she can be prosecuted for perjury. I doubt she will choose to do this. Your best bet is to prove she lied without her help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">