• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long can a statutory rape case be initiated?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

at21

What is the name of your state? Texas

Hi,

My friend just told me about the statutory rape law so basically, I didn't know about this until now. I tried to do a search about the extent to how long someone can initiate a statutory rape lawsuit but to no avail so I decided to give a shot here.

I had sex with my ex-girlfriend when she was 15 years old and I was 21. She turned 16 in June 27th, 2003. I am still 21 years old. She initiated sex and I said yes. We broke up and haven't seen each other for half a year already. Since this happened already and nothing can be done about it, is there some time period where if she wanted to, file a lawsuit against me for statutory rape? What happens if she turns 17 or older? Can she still sue for statutory rape?

I don't want to live for the rest of my life knowing that she could sue me anytime in her lifetime for statutory rape. Please let me know and thanks for your time.

-Worried

C

Cantthinkofone

Alright, first off you wont be sued for statutory rape. Nope. Instead you could be CHARGED with statutory rape. In that case you go to prision. According to,

http://www.cga.state.ct.us/2003/olrdata/jud/rpt/2003-R-0376.htm

If convicted you can serve 2-20 years for the offense in the state of texas.

And according to http://www.rcccc.org/asltfact.htm

Statute of limitations on sexual assault is 5 years.

It doesn't matter that she initiated sex. It's still statutory rape.

But seeing how you don't know the law, I'm sure that she won't either giving you the advantage. Plus, if she was to let it out I wouldnt worry about the courts sending you to prison. I would worry about her daddy knocking on your door with a shotgun in hand waiting to blow your brains out for knocking up his daughter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">