• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long do they have to press charges?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

U

user101

What is the name of your state? California

Hello,
Back 4 months ago I got into a 1-2 minute altercation after being taunted/provoked with racial epithets. I received another phone call today from the local police stating that this case still has not been determined by the local DA whether or not to press charges against me. My question is how long do they have? Its been over 4 months, no one was really physically harmed and i'd like to get this past me. Any answers would be appreciated.

Thanks!
user101

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

user101 said:

Hello,
Back 4 months ago I got into a 1-2 minute altercation after being taunted/provoked with racial epithets. I received another phone call today from the local police stating that this case still has not been determined by the local DA whether or not to press charges against me. My question is how long do they have? Its been over 4 months, no one was really physically harmed and i'd like to get this past me. Any answers would be appreciated.

Thanks!
user101

My response:

Well, it depends upon the "charge", which you never stated. It also depends upon your race. If you're black, the DA has the rest of your life to file charges. If you're Hispanic, he has until your next gardening job. If you're American Indian, he has until the next full moon. If you're White, he has until Monday.

IAAL

F

Fuwad

user101 said:

Hello,

Thanks!
user101
if i were you i wouldnt worrie bout it if it s been 4 months its jus about fallen threw the cracks cases like this always happen to save tax payer money, like i said dont worrie bout it, if they didnt do ne thing the within the first week than it gone wit the wind, jus chill n live your life .

D

desireelynne

Here in Az 7 years

I am no attorney by any means, but here in AZ they have 7 years to actually bring charges and so on. I think you can speed it up by demanding a speedy trial or something like that,I`m not sure what the term for it is,but basically its telling them to s**t or get off the pot.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">