• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long does it take for a no contact order to be processed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

somedude14

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Sc

So my girlfriend and I broke up yesterday and it was a bit messy. We both called each other names and are not talking to each other anymore (mature I know). Anyway, my now ex girlfriend said she would go to the police and get a no contact order if I talked to her again. I never threatened her with violence once and the worst thing I called her was immature. However, after she threatened to go to the police if I even responded to her text message and I respond one last time just to say I was sorry and I wouldn't bother her anymore and blocked her number. She didn't reply so I have no idea if she went through with her threat.

My question is, how long do I have to wait to see if she actually went through with the no contact order today? Again, I never threatened her in anyway and just called her a few names when we both were fighting. I don't think I did anything terribly wrong, but I know it's not my decision to make and a judge might think its better to be safe than sorry. I'm really stressed out as a no contact order on my record would be awful as I want to work for the government someday. I really have no plans to contact her again, but I just had to say I was sorry. If nothing happens after a couple weeks, am I okay? I know it sounds bad, but I honestly didn't threaten her or hurt her once (why would I lie on here) and I'm pretty sure she is trying to get a no contact order just to hurt me so it would be great if someone could provide some insight on how easy they are to get to put my mind at ease after a lot of stress.

Thanks!!

Last edited:

somedude14

and I know I don't have the facts, but I'm just trying to get a general idea of how long it will take. I'm guessing she would do it right away and correctly. She would be charging me with verbal harassment and talking to her after she said not to (even if it was simply I'm sorry).

I know it just having someone say they want a no contact order against me makes me look like a bad person, but I'd really want some help here. (I know it doesn't matter, but I'm honestly not a bad person. My girlfriend has been abused before by one of her exes and is very quick to jump the gun and press charges even if nothing happened)

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I am not sure she even has grounds for a CPO based upon that. She might file a complaint for harassment but that won't go very far and takes time to investigate. So there really is not an answer to your question.

somedude14

I am not sure she even has grounds for a CPO based upon that. She might file a complaint for harassment but that won't go very far and takes time to investigate. So there really is not an answer to your question.
Thank you for a reply. :) So far no one has told me I did anything wrong enough to merit a restraining order or no contact order, but I'm pretty oblivious to how the process works so I'm still pretty worried. I was just worried that she explicitly said DO NOT CONTACT REPLY TO THIS TEXT OR ELSE POLICE. and I was like "Hey I'm really sorry, I will leave you alone and I've blocked your number in case I even text it by accident." But I still technically replied even when she said not to so I'm not sure if a judge would see that as "dangerous." The silly thing is that I'm much more scared of her than she probably is of me.

Is there a way I can check if she tried to get a no contact order if I call the police? If months go by am I probably okay? Again, having this on my record would really mess me up so I'm super worried.

somedude14

Also, last question:

If by some stroke of awful luck I do get a no contact order on me, how long does it last on my record? Is it permanent? Once I go to court and am like "hey i dont want to talk to this girl anymore and I dont even know why I am here" will it be off my record if I never talk to her again? I'm hoping the legal system comes through this time for me as I'm honestly not dangerous at all, but I know it's better to play it safe than sorry so that's why I'm so anxious.

swalsh411

Have you ever heard the expression "making a mountain our a molehill"? That's what you're doing.

Relax, you don't get a criminal record just because some jilted lover makes a complaint to the police.

Stop worrying about it. Don't have any contact with her. Move on with your life.

CdwJava

You will know when you are served your copy of the order and not until then ... unless your local court has the practice of putting pending such court matters online and you search daily.

These orders last for as long as the court says they last. When they drop off they may still be discovered by a thorough background check. Someone else may be familiar with your state's regulations on the retention of these records, but if it is not active, some background checks may not reveal it. After it has been expired for seven or more years, most background checks will likely not reveal it unless they talk to people who knew it existed. Some employers might require you to disclose this information (like law enforcement or employers that require security clearances).

somedude14

Have you ever heard the expression "making a mountain our a molehill"? That's what you're doing.

Relax, you don't get a criminal record just because some jilted lover makes a complaint to the police.

Stop worrying about it. Don't have any contact with her. Move on with your life.
haha, well thank you, that does make me feel better. :)

I know it is kind of silly considering there are much worse cases, but she was just so angry that I feel like she is determined to get something on my record because she would like to hurt me. None of my messages threatened her with violence, but I did call her a few names like immature and selfish.

I guess I was just curious about how this process works. If you send someone a message that is very pleasant and relaxed saying you are sorry and will not contact them again after they told you to leave them alone, is that grounds for harassment?

somedude14

You will know when you are served your copy of the order and not until then ... unless your local court has the practice of putting pending such court matters online and you search daily.

These orders last for as long as the court says they last. When they drop off they may still be discovered by a thorough background check. Someone else may be familiar with your state's regulations on the retention of these records, but if it is not active, some background checks may not reveal it. After it has been expired for seven or more years, most background checks will likely not reveal it unless they talk to people who knew it existed. Some employers might require you to disclose this information (like law enforcement or employers that require security clearances).
Thank you for the reply. Again, because of my career path, I'm just extra worried. I don't think my local court has pending court matters, but I can check.

Is there any rough estimate of how long it would take though? I'm honestly just very curious at this point. What if I was dangerous and kept sending her terrible messages? How long would it take her to see a judge and then have it issued? I saw online a judge has to determine within 48 hours for a restraining order, but I couldnt find anything about a no contact order.

Just Blue

Thank you for the reply. Again, because of my career path, I'm just extra worried. I don't think my local court has pending court matters, but I can check.

Is there any rough estimate of how long it would take though? I'm honestly just very curious at this point. What if I was dangerous and kept sending her terrible messages? How long would it take her to see a judge and then have it issued? I saw online a judge has to determine within 48 hours for a restraining order, but I couldnt find anything about a no contact order.
Why should the Volunteers yet AGAIN offer advice for you to delete?

CdwJava

The best answer is that it takes as long as it takes.

Out here, in my experience, a judge will usually review and sign an application for a TRO within two to three days. But, courts vary as do workloads. It could take as little time as the time it takes for a judge to scribble his name or have his clerk stamp his signature on it ... or, as long as state law might allow (f there is such a statute).

You can choose to worry about it if you want, but its like worrying about being struck by a meteor - there's nothing you can do to prevent it and you won't know about it until it happens.

So, do not talk, text, write, email, or phone her, or talk to her friends about her/you, and you may very well be okay.

somedude14

Thank you all for the help! I know it's unlikely to occur, but I was just freaked out since I really did nothing close to being dangerous. I'll try to stop worrying about it :)

Just Blue

Thank you all for the help! I know it's unlikely to occur, but I was just freaked out since I really did nothing close to being dangerous. I'll try to stop worrying about it :)
It would be very nice if you did not delete the advice given, yet again, so that others may educate themselves.:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">