• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How Serious?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tstock

What is the name of your state? Alaska

My brother received a summons to court with the following charges:
-Misconduct involving weapons in the 4th degree (class A misdemeanor)
-Misconduct involving a controlled substance in the 6th degree (class B misdemeanor)

I'm just wondering what he should expect at his first court appearance? Could they arrest him right then or will he just enter his plea? Is this serious enough that he should try to come up with the money for a lawyer or would asking for a public defender suffice (he would financially qualify)? He doesn't have anything on his record and I would hate to see him not handle this properly. He just turned 21, so lacks some good judgement.What is the name of your state?

seniorjudge

Q: Could they arrest him right then or will he just enter his plea?

A: Since he got a summons instead of being arrested, then I suspect all they want is a plea.

Q: Is this serious enough that he should try to come up with the money for a lawyer or would asking for a public defender suffice (he would financially qualify)?

A: A public defender is a lawyer.

tstock

Thank you for the reply. I know a public defender is a LAWYER, but have witnessed in the past that sometimes the commitment to the client is not quite the same. Not always the case, but it happens.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">