• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How should I plead?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MadameX

What is the name of your state? CT

Hello. Thank you in advance. Here is my situation: In 2001, I wrote a bad check for 106.00$. I was pulled over on Sunday and found out that I had a warrant. I was arrested, but it wasn't really even like that at all. I wasn't hand cuffed, or put in a holding cell, and the Sargeant kept telling me this was not a big deal, the best of us write bad checks, and not to worry about it. I was released in 20 minutes, no bail, just a summons to attend court this friday. He advised me to bring 200 or 300 dollars to cover the check and the court costs. A friend is telling me to plead 'nolo', but I am guilty and just want to pay for the check & court costs and put this behind me. My question is, what is wrong with pleading guilty? Would any of you advise me to plead guilty or nolo? I have the money, it's only 300 bucks, but I've never been in legal trouble before and am unsure of what to do. Please advise, thank you.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

MadameX said:
What is the name of your state? CT

Hello. Thank you in advance. Here is my situation: In 2001, I wrote a bad check for 106.00$. I was pulled over on Sunday and found out that I had a warrant. I was arrested, but it wasn't really even like that at all. I wasn't hand cuffed, or put in a holding cell, and the Sargeant kept telling me this was not a big deal, the best of us write bad checks, and not to worry about it. I was released in 20 minutes, no bail, just a summons to attend court this friday. He advised me to bring 200 or 300 dollars to cover the check and the court costs. A friend is telling me to plead 'nolo', but I am guilty and just want to pay for the check & court costs and put this behind me. My question is, what is wrong with pleading guilty? Would any of you advise me to plead guilty or nolo? I have the money, it's only 300 bucks, but I've never been in legal trouble before and am unsure of what to do. Please advise, thank you.

My response:

First, and foremost, the dollar symbol goes IN FRONT of the amount; i.e., $106.00.

Second, tell your friend to plead "insanity" or "utter stupidity".

Just pay the fine and the check. That's all you'll need to do.

"Nolo Contendere" has nothing to do with this matter.

IAAL

M

MadameX

Thank you for the reply. Sorry about the $ in the wrong place. LOL at your second comment...I'm going to tell her that. When I get to court I plan on doing just that - it was just her telling me if I plead guilty I would get punished and to plead 'nolo' instead that made me nervous. I do appreciate your response. :)

JETX

Of course, I agree with Liable.

And for your further edification (and can 'show off' to your friend!):
"no contest
n. in criminal law, a defendant's plea in court that he/she will not contest the charge of a particular crime, also called nolo contendere. While technically not an admission of guilt for commission of the crime, the judge will treat a plea of "no contest" as such an admission and proceed to find the defendant guilty as charged. A "no contest" plea is often made in cases in which there is also a possible lawsuit for damages by a person injured by the criminal conduct (such as reckless driving, assault with a deadly weapon, aggravated assault), because it cannot be used in the civil lawsuit as an admission of fault. "No contest" is also used where there has been a "plea bargain" in which the defendant does not want to say he/she is guilty but accepts the sentence recommended by the prosecutor in exchange for not contesting the charge (which is often reduced to a lesser crime)."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">