• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husband accused of pawning stolen ring but its my wedding band and not stolen

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sunshineCMB83

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My husbands cousin stole some of his grandmothers jewlery and pawned it. The grandmother is the cousins mothers mom, the cousins mom is a cop.
To make a long story short my husband got laid off in december, so in Feburary we pawned my wedding band because our daughters 2nd birthday is on the 24th and we needed the money so we could give her a party and gifts. Today we found out that the cousin recently stole the grandmothers jewlery and pawned it. Now the mom who is a cop is trying to say my ring belongs to the grandmother and is apart of the stolen jelwery. We have the reciept for the ring from when it was orignaly purchased. I want to go to the police department tomorrow with the orignal reciept and pawn slip to file a report to cover my husbands behind and to make sure i don't loose my ring. I don't know if that's the right way to handle thid. What do i do? I don't want my husband to get in trouble, he had no part in tge theft and didn't even know it occured until today when the grandmother noticed her items were missing. Please help

ERAUPIKE

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My husbands cousin stole some of his grandmothers jewlery and pawned it. The grandmother is the cousins mothers mom, the cousins mom is a cop.
To make a long story short my husband got laid off in december, so in Feburary we pawned my wedding band because our daughters 2nd birthday is on the 24th and we needed the money so we could give her a party and gifts. Today we found out that the cousin recently stole the grandmothers jewlery and pawned it. Now the mom who is a cop is trying to say my ring belongs to the grandmother and is apart of the stolen jelwery. We have the reciept for the ring from when it was orignaly purchased. I want to go to the police department tomorrow with the orignal reciept and pawn slip to file a report to cover my husbands behind and to make sure i don't loose my ring. I don't know if that's the right way to handle thid. What do i do? I don't want my husband to get in trouble, he had no part in tge theft and didn't even know it occured until today when the grandmother noticed her items were missing. Please help
Until your husband is charged with something stay far away from police contact. After he is charged, you, need to get even farther away from police contact. Get an attorney after he is charged and let the professionals work things out. Since your husband is related to the officer he could always call her and explain that the ring did not belong to the grandmother and offer to show her the proof.

sunshineCMB83

Thank you for ur reply. The officer is the one that's saying my ring is stolen property. She use to be married to my husbands uncle but they seprated years ago. So she's kinda like family but technically not really. It almost feels like she's using the fact that she's s cop wrongfully which is why i wanted to go seek help from the police department.

ERAUPIKE

Thank you for ur reply. The officer is the one that's saying my ring is stolen property. She use to be married to my husbands uncle but they seprated years ago. So she's kinda like family but technically not really. It almost feels like she's using the fact that she's s cop wrongfully which is why i wanted to go seek help from the police department.
If this woman is guilty of any malfeasance than your husband should go and file a complaint with her police department.

antrc170

If you are on friendly terms with the officer, forward a copy of the reciept to her and explain that the ring in question was not sold illegally. If she continues to pressure you then stop communicating with her. Many jurisdictions have policies in place that disallow officers associated with a crime from investigating that crime. As in, if my brother is a murder suspect then I cannot investigate the death because it creates a conflict on interest. Check with the department to see if they have a similiar policy.

antrc170

Nice, what a sense of entitlement you are instilling in your child.
WTF? Perhaps the parents are celebrating their childs birth and want her to remember growing up in a strong supportive household filled with love and warmth? Perhaps the parents are making a sacrifice for their child even in hard economic times. If the ring means to her even close to what my wife's ring means, then it was not an easy decision to pawn or sell it.

justalayman

WTF? Perhaps the parents are celebrating their childs birth and want her to remember growing up in a strong supportive household filled with love and warmth? Perhaps the parents are making a sacrifice for their child even in hard economic times. If the ring means to her even close to what my wife's ring means, then it was not an easy decision to pawn or sell it.
A child will not understand the sacrifice of pawning the ring. The celebration can be quite fulfilling, even without gifts. A cake is $5 (directions on the back of the box and kids aren't big art critics so an ugly messy cake is as good as a fancy expensive cake)

and since this is a 2nd birthday celebration, the child will be excited with any gifts. It doesn't have to be an expensive gift. How many times have you seen a child set aside the expensive gift in the box only to play with the box?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">