• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

husband with mental illness charged with dui

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

melissam3647

last year my husband plead guilty for dui and a car accident. he has bi-polar disorder a mental illness. the people in the other car are sueing us for more money than we are insured for and we are setting a date for the trial. should I get ohio's legal rights involved to protect my husband and respresent him? he can't emotional handle this stress. one out of every five people with bi-polar end up committing suicide.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by melissam3647:
last year my husband plead guilty for dui and a car accident. he has bi-polar disorder a mental illness. the people in the other car are sueing us for more money than we are insured for and we are setting a date for the trial. should I get ohio's legal rights involved to protect my husband and respresent him? he can't emotional handle this stress. one out of every five people with bi-polar end up committing suicide.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Did you have a legal question to ask? We cannot tell you who to get to represent your husband - - that's a question only you and your husband can answer. Presumably, he already has an attorney, at least one appointed by the court.

Lot's of people have bi-polar disorder. It appears to be the illness of the new millenium. Apparently, that "disease" or "illness" didn't stop him from drinking, getting into a car, and then causing a car accident. The only people that care about your husband, and what he did, live in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. And none of us live in Wyoming.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

M

Metoo

Don't pay any attention to that a..!! :mad:
YES....GET ALL THE HELP YOU CAN for your
'sick' husband.
For you...IAAL,
That is the whole point. Her husband's disease often results in self medicating with alcohol or drugs when untreated.
NO, they do not have to drive under the influence, but it DOES attribute to the whole picture.....and his defense.IMO.

P.S.Mellisam,
He is WRONG, there are many of us out here that DO care, understand, and have been there!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Metoo:
Don't pay any attention to that a..!! :mad:
YES....GET ALL THE HELP YOU CAN for your
'sick' husband.
For you...IAAL,
That is the whole point. Her husband's disease often results in self medicating with alcohol or drugs when untreated.
NO, they do not have to drive under the influence, but it DOES attribute to the whole picture.....and his defense.IMO.

P.S.Mellisam,
He is WRONG, there are many of us out here that DO care, understand, and have been there!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Then, you must live in Wyoming.

All because someone has a mental problem, doesn't mean you can drink, drive, cause an accident, and then get out of the problem, and paying a debt to society, and then being responsible for Civil Damages to the injured party.

He should not have been driving in the first place if the "disease" was that debilitating, and to the point of putting glass to lips, getting drunk, and driving.

If that were the case, then millions would have an excuse, and a defense, to rob a bank, commit murder, steal from their employer, etc., and the list is endless.

There is no excuse for what this person did, and Bi-Polar syndrome is not a defense.

IAAL

P.S. Up to now, you'll notice you have been the only other respondent to this post. That mean either you're in a vast minority on this issue, or you, yourself, are a convicted drunk driver.

Other people know not to comment. Why don't you?

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

D

DrunkN_MastR

If this is all true, then a person with such a disease should not even be given a license to drive - course that's just my opinion

------------------
Just your friendly neighborhood DrunkN_MastR tellin ya the way it is, from a scumbag street cop point of view ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">