• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I was arrested for aggrovted assault but it was self defense

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kest

What is the name of your state? PA

OK now my case is abit hard to explain so Im going to explain the basics of what happened.

Me and my friend and he cousin throw a football party one night. An uninvited guest with the reputation of being a "bad guy" showed up and started throwing things and trashing the house. We asked him to leave and He wouldnt. After afew minutes of yelling and him inching towards the door and us threating to call the police he left. But in his car as he was leaving he starting yelling threats at everyone (who had come out onto the porch and yard to see what was going on) that he was going to call his "boys" and that he knew where this house was and that they would be back and we'd be sorry. He drove away down the street. Not even 2mins later another car we didnt recognize pulled up and out hoped two people we didnt know. Instantly they started yelling about how we wronged their friend by kicking him out and one of them rushed towards the house through the yard while the other went to the side of the house and managed to get into the house. The perswon in the front yard was stoped by a group of people telling him to get his freind and leave. I was standing in between the two groups trying to calm everyone down. I told him to just take his friend and leave and we didnt want a problem and I was telling the people I knew to just go back in the house and settle down. Instead of leaving the man who I was standing near grabed one of my friends by the neck and hit him then threw him back and onto the ground, the instantly screamed "you better back off I got my gun" then he reached around his back as if grabing for it. Now at that time I had a beer bottle in my hand because I was drinking a beer and didnt see this turning into a problem, but after he yelled that and then reached around his back I swung to hit him. And there lies my problem Im right handed and was holding my beer in my right hand, I didnt hit him hard enough to break the bottle or anything It wasnt my intent to go all movie star and try to break it over his head I was simply reacting to him threating everyone with a gun (me bing the closest to him) and then reaching for it. After he was hit he fell and everyone jumped on him but couldnt find the gun he said he had. and he started screaming to his freind "get the gun out of the car I left it in the car" Now the friend ran out of the house and to the car beating us all there. His friend got up because all attention was off of him and on to another person we didnt realize was with him. The man who I hit and evryone searched got up and ran to the car and got into the drivers seat and his friend got into the passanger seat and they drove away. We all had a moment of realization that anyone of us could have died that night and people actualy thanked me for what I did because someone could have died. we checked everyone to make sure they were ok especialy the person that the man attacked. We all decided we should call the police but as my girlfriend went to get her phone and I want into the house to check on and explain to other people what happened, the police pulled up. Apparently the two men who showed up and treated us all and tresspased on the property had flaged down an officer less than a block away and told them what had happened (leaving out what they did ,of corse) and I was arrested for hitting the man in the head with a bottle hence my aggrovated assault charge. I spent a night in jail and Im just worried about this really because Ive never had any run in with the law and up untill I was arrested I thought that I had potentialy saved someone from being shot. Now Im begining to think I should have ran the risk and not reacted just wait and see if it was a gun and then just have let him shot me instead.

sorry if that was abit long winded but Ive never dealt with this kind of thing before and Im worried about not only my legal problems but that these men might know who I am. So any insight on what I may be looking at or any kind of insight onto if it was self defense or not would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">