• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I bought a propane tank, propane company confiscated it...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PhL0aTeR

Colorado State here....

I bought 2 100lb propane tanks, used, for use with an RV. They were both branded with propane companies, I assumed that it was kind of like a Keg shell and you paid a deposit to the propane company in case you did not return it. I took both tanks to one of the companies and they confiscated the one that was branded with their name and said they would not fill the other one. I informed them that I purchased the tank from an individual and he said that it was stolen and i needed to go get my money back.

So i asked the guy if he would fill the one they let me keep if it was re-painted and he said yes. So i put that one back in my truck and since I was dissatisfied with the situation i decided to inquire further about this tank that was stripped of my ownership, they were able to give me the name and number of the company that owned it and it turned out to be some kind of homebuilder. I figured i would call and at least see if they were willing to reimburse me since supposedly this company has been paying a (rental?) fee on this missing tank. I called and left them a message but haven't heard back yet.

Its not the issue, but i know for a fact the person i bought these tanks from did not steal them. He had a business cleaning up foreclosed properties and these were acquired from foreclosed properties.

So do they have the right to confiscate it from me? I asked for some kind of paperwork saying they confiscated it but they wouldn't give me anything.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Propane tanks are usually leased, not sold. So, if they were removed from a foreclosed home, they were removed (more than likely) illegally. I'd be after the guy that sold me stolen property to get my money back.

PhL0aTeR

Propane tanks are usually leased, not sold. So, if they were removed from a foreclosed home, they were removed (more than likely) illegally. I'd be after the guy that sold me stolen property to get my money back.
i said it wasn't an issue, but let me give a bit more background. I know the guy that sold them to me. He was paid to remove personal effects from foreclosed properties. So anything that wasn't bolted down, basically he was paid to remove and "dispose of" which is a relative term because he salvaged what he could, sold stuff, scrapped stuff, etc... He actually called the companies and asked them if they wanted them back, which they did but would not send anyone out to pick them up and expected him to drive up there and turn them in. So they weren't technically stolen or removed illegally. It was abandoned by the person who lived there.

So in summary, what you are telling me is, aside from getting my money back, i dont have a leg to stand on?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
i said it wasn't an issue, but let me give a bit more background. I know the guy that sold them to me. He was paid to remove personal effects from foreclosed properties. So anything that wasn't bolted down, basically he was paid to remove and "dispose of" which is a relative term because he salvaged what he could, sold stuff, scrapped stuff, etc... He actually called the companies and asked them if they wanted them back, which they did but would not send anyone out to pick them up and expected him to drive up there and turn them in. So they weren't technically stolen or removed illegally. It was abandoned by the person who lived there.

So in summary, what you are telling me is, aside from getting my money back, i dont have a leg to stand on?
Propane tanks are not "personal property", they are owned by the propane company that leases them to the homeowner/builder. So, you have effectively received stolen property. So, no, you don't have a leg to stand on. :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">