• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I don't know what is going to happen to me.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wooter23

I live in New Jersey. I am 18, both of my parents are dead, I didn't really have any money, I worked at Circuit City, I stole $3000 worth of ipods and sold them, I got caught, my court case is in about a week. I am scared, it was by far the dumbest thing I have ever done. I was wondering what is likely going to happen to me? Jail? What do I need to bring to court? What should I say to the judge? It is the only bad thing I have ever done in my life.

corrupt copper

grand larceny??? you will do some time, but the amt depends on your record and other factors.

have you spoken with your ca attorney?

corrupt copper

anything over $1000 is considered grand larceny (at least in ny). my concern is the amt, thats a lot of money.

best case scenario is a lot of community service and fines, thats if you have a private attorney. this is your first offense and thats a big thing to a judge.

calatty

It should not make a difference whether you have a private attorney or a public defender. Both are attorneys. You may get probation since it is your first offense.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

calatty said:
You may get probation since it is your first offense.

My response:

. . . but, then again, if you get a "hangin' judge", one who's determined to make an example out of you, you'll probably be turning big rocks into little rocks for the next 2 years, and telling Big Bubba, "please, not tonight - - I have a headache."

IAAL

bigbarkingdog

wooter23 said:
I live in New Jersey. I am 18, both of my parents are dead, I didn't really have any money, I worked at Circuit City, I stole $3000 worth of ipods and sold them, I got caught, my court case is in about a week. I am scared, it was by far the dumbest thing I have ever done. I was wondering what is likely going to happen to me? Jail? What do I need to bring to court? What should I say to the judge? It is the only bad thing I have ever done in my life.

Probably get community service and probation. Dont piss away your future by repeating this ever.

Have you gotten your public defender yet? You should contact the public defenders office right away. This is the stuff you need to tell them.

enufisenuf

You don't need money for a public defender, so contact the courthouse and ask how to get in touch with the Public Defenders Office. When a lawyer is appointed to you tell him/her everything, even if it makes you look bad, remember they can't discuss anything you tell them with ANYONE without your permission. Stay out of anymore trouble and follow your lawyers advise. Most importantly learn from this mistake and never ever pull a stunt like this again.

wooter23

does the public defender just show up, or do I have to call first? today is the 2nd, the case is on the 6th, but I think they are closed today and tomorrow, possibly monday as well for the holiday, will that be enough time for them to come?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">