• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I dont want to press charges against family

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lcardona21

My state is Texas and my question is my brother has a terrible drug addiction and stole my checks. I put stop pymts on all the checks but they were cashed at check cashing places. Although my bank didnt honor the checks i am being told by the check cashing places I have to file a police report and call them back with the police report number. I DO NOT want to press charges against my brother, i know he is in the wrong but i do not feel right about doing so. Can i file a police report without pressing charges against my brother?

las365

Generally, an individual does not "press charges." If you file a police report, the police investigate and then the prosecutor's office determines whether to file criminal charges.

You don't have to file a police report. If you don't, the businesses that gave your brother money based on checks that you stopped payment on may file police reports of their own, and you may end up being charged.

If you want to protect your brother from the consequences of his actions, and yourself from the potential consequences of protecting him, you could repay the check cashing places.

Proserpina

This isn't legal advice.

But seriously, if you really want to help your brother - help him for real, long term - you'll let him take the consequences of his actions.

Don't enable him. That simply won't help. Trust me.

Have you been involved with Nar-Anon or any other support group?

lcardona21

response

This isn't legal advice.

But seriously, if you really want to help your brother - help him for real, long term - you'll let him take the consequences of his actions.

Don't enable him. That simply won't help. Trust me.

Have you been involved with Nar-Anon or any other support group?
I agree and i honestly feel the same... I just dont want my family to hate me or be angry with me for filing a police report or pressing charges. I more than likely will, simply because its my credit and name that are on the line here. And yes your right he needs to face his consequences of his actions. What is a Nar-Anon?

las365

Nar-Anon is a network of support groups for family members of people with addiction.

Nar-Anon Home

If you can't find a meeting near you, you can go to Al-Anon instead. Even though it is officially for family members of alcoholics, most addicts use alcohol and drugs. You will be welcomed.

Please try it, it can help you handle not only your relationship with your brother, but also with your other family members.

TinkerBelleLuvr

It is the state & DA's office that makes the decision to press charges. If others want to protect him, then THEY can pay up what he did. Otherwise, put your money where your mouth is.

slwslw

My state is Texas and my question is my brother has a terrible drug addiction and stole my checks. I put stop pymts on all the checks but they were cashed at check cashing places. Although my bank didnt honor the checks i am being told by the check cashing places I have to file a police report and call them back with the police report number. I DO NOT want to press charges against my brother, i know he is in the wrong but i do not feel right about doing so. Can i file a police report without pressing charges against my brother?
If you were not complicit in the cashing of the checks at the check cashing place, they have no claim against you. You are as much a victim as they are.

They're just trying to intimidate you into filing charges. They're half heartedly accusing you of complicity and saying that if you don't file charges, then that proves you're complicit.

Their logic is wrong. You don't have to file charges.

Keep in mind that your brother tried to rip you off. I wouldn't be lenient with someone like that. He didn't care about you.

Last edited:

TinkerBelleLuvr

Just file the police report. If anything happens, it will be with the check cashing place and COMPLETELY out of your hands.

If your family squawks, then let them bail him out of trouble. There is such a thing as tough love and this appears to be one of those times.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">