• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I found a piece of jewelry, what am I legally required to do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jtjumper

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan
I found a piece of jewelry right next to the sidewalk, what am I legally required to do?

xylene

I suggest you call you local police NON-emergency line and ask how they would like you to handle the matter.

justalayman

The law;

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(uqonzjgs0x54itb15luw3gnl))/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-434-22

Sec. 2.

(1) A person who finds lost property shall report the finding or deliver the property to a law enforcement agency in the jurisdiction where the property is found. This shall include all property found in an abandoned vehicle. If the person wishes to receive the property if it is not claimed by the legal owner as provided in this act, the person shall provide his or her name and current address to the law enforcement agency and shall inform the agency of any change in his or her address.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">