• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I go to court on July 3

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sunny73lj

What is the name of your state? IOWA
My neighbor called police because on Monday I forgot to put our dog out in the yard. He was (unintentionally) left in his kennel. I fed and watered him that AM and took him out to go to the bathroom. But this was the first day my daughter was off her ADHD medication in several weeks, and it was frenzied and hectic that morning. I noticed she and the dog had gotten the chain tangled the evening before when I took him out that morning, so I put him back in the kennel to go check on her and get her moving along and doing what she was supposed to be doing. In the end we were running late and went out the side door closest to the car. I completely forgot about untangling the chain and getting him out. His kennel was in the fenced in porch, so he was in fresh air and had a breeze, but it was hot out that day, and his water dish was still outside. Needless to day I received a visit from the police and a ticket when I got home from work. I had discussed a few times previously with my daughter that now that she was in so many acitivities and they seem to start mid-summer, I thought we should probably find the dog a family that had more time for him. So much to her heartbreak, we took him to the rescue league. We could have kept him, but it would have taken a lot out of me, as I am not home all day like my neighbors and don't do all the same things for our dog they do for theirs. So all that would lead to is more complaints to the police from them. What I need to know is what kind of sentence am I looking at? I am a single parent with a 9-year-old child and I have no place to have her stay if they jail me. Is this hopefully a sentence of a fine? Also, if it is jail, I would lose my job, therefore, we would lose our home as well. I am very nervous and cannot afford an attorney.
Please note, the email address I used at registration is my work email because I am having problems with my email at home. If it helps, I will be going to court in Des Moines, Iowa, Polk County.
Thanks for any feedback.

S

shantrbl

i would say for you not to worry...unless the animal was removed from your home due to obvious neglect, you will probably just be fined.only cases where there are signs of severe neglect are punishable by incarceration, sometimes its just community service.
Good luck on wednesday, let me know how it went.....shanna

sunny73lj

Thanks for replying, I tend to get very tense about things this serious. However, you were right, I just got a $90 fine (just...but it was better than the alternative.) Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">