• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

i got caught shoplifting and am a juvenile

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

minorthreat

What is the name of your state? wisconsin

I got caught shoplifting at shopko, taking a 15$ worth of merchendise the took me to a room i confesed cause the security guy said he had me on tape, im only 16 they said i will get charged civil and criminaly. how much are the fines for this? i need to know i dont have any money, i cant afford a attorney and my parents cant either and dont qualify for public defense my court date is 2 days after my 17 birthday and thats the age i think wisconsin charges people as adults? anyone know what ill be charged criminaly or and civily?

P

Pfaffing85690

Both and you'll not only be required to pay restitution (that's the cost of the item and court costs) but fines, community service and have a criminal record.

Nice going.

JETX

You will very likely be charged with both civil and criminal.

Criminal: You will have to appear in court. If your parents cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed for you. You will likely get a fine and community service.

Civil: The merchant has the right to pursue what is called 'civil recovery' from you. At some point in the near future, you will likely get a demand letter from the merchant asking for $100 to $200 in 'civil damages'. This law allows the merchant to recover these amounts to help defray the cost of security, cameras, etc. If it is not paid, they can file a civil lawsuit against you and/or your parents and get a judgment.
For the statute and process in Wisconsin, go to:
http://www.civildemand.net/statutes/wisconsin.html

M

minorthreat

anyone know about how much of a fine it can be? this would be my first offense and the last

Happenings5

Here is what my letter from the attorney in WISCONSIN says:

anyone know about how much of a fine it can be? this would be my first offense and the last
My 13-year-old son was recently caught shoplifting from Shopko in a Wisconsin store, I am utterly embarassed to say that I felt we raised and taught him better. Anyhow, he has a $64 fine through the city police, but we go to court and I will ask for him to do restitution to pay that off (teach him a lesson I hope). We also got a letter from an attorney for a total of $217. I think they try to get money out of everyone who steals from them as he stole a $2 item, but it is costing him much more than that. I think it is funny that it says not to contact the attorney who sent the letter, just to pay the civil claim. I put a call into Shopko headquarters asking if my son could work it off for them as my paying the fine isn't going to teach him anything**************...I have yet to hear back. It says we have 21 days to make payment. I don't know if I will pay it or not yet, hoping they call me back or that I can talk to someone when I call again. I fully feel that my son was wrong and want him to have to pay it back to feel the full force of the crime he committed, hopefully scaring him from ever doing anything like that again. I hope this helps you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">