• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I lost my cool, I regreted, I need advise

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

soysocio1

California - This afternoon at time I was about to make a right turn into a local blvd(my car was stopped at red light at the time)I saw a dark sedan about more than a block away, in the left lane, after I decided it's relatively safe distance I proceed to make my right turn onto the right lane of that local blvd. Just about when I have completed my turn, to my surprize, the dark sedan was already honking in a combined shrot-long burst around my 7 o'clock. Clearly she was speeding way beyond the city limit. The middle-aged lady driver appears to be angry at me turning onto her "speedway" and so she flipped me. Soon after that, to make the story short, she manage to cut off in front of me when ever I seem to pass her! This endured for several traffic light, and when she realized I was pissed, that is when she decide to bail out of this road rage. So she made a right turn followed by another left turn to get rid off me. At that point I should have let it go and go on but for whatever reason(maybe stupidity)I follwed her on, and turning myself from the the right-side into wrong-side. She stopped after the quick left turn and pulled into driveway of an apartment garage. I stopped behind her car and we had exchange of f-words, when she told me "don't mess with me if you can't drive", that is when I got furious so I threw a paper cup with water splashing the trunk of her car and drove off. The nasty lady didn't follow and I proceed to calm down and went back home after the inccident. But somehow I could not help feeling guilt due to my poor conflict management and the fact I was rude enough to threw water at a lady's car.
After I have gone home, not every minute passes by that I don't regret my actions for today, I should have ignored her and drove on but now I have put myself at risk. She could have written down my license number. Can anyone tell me what is the worst that can happend in the following days or weeks? Is throwing water cup at her trunk considered serious criminal offense? How can I find out if she ever filed charged against me? If she did, what should I do. I am quite scared and worried now, any advise would be appreciated. Again I regret my actions during the inccident, hope this is a lesson for me for many years to come.:(

JETX

Of course you know that what you did was incredibly stupid, so I won't say that. :)

You didn't know how 'close to the edge' this other driver might have been, or if she had a gun or was simply some 'little old lady'. So, the chance you were taking at the time is/was huge.

Now, you have no idea what story she might make up if she wants to. She could tell the police that you pointed a gun at her, or that you were some 'crazed lunatic' that is stalking her, or she could decide to not say anything at all.

In any case, for us to try to 'guess' what she might do, if anything, or what she might say is simply not possible.

"Can anyone tell me what is the worst that can happend in the following days or weeks?"
*** The worst..... she could call the police and say that you pointed a gun at her and tried to force her off the road, clearly with the intent to harm or kill.

"Is throwing water cup at her trunk considered serious criminal offense?"
*** Technically, it could be assault, but I would be more concerned about what version she might come up with.

"How can I find out if she ever filed charged against me?"
*** The only way would be for you to consider filing 'crazy driver' charges against her..... which I don't recommend. I would suggest you taking a few minutes and writing down everything you remember about the incident while it is still fresh (details, dates, times, etc.). Then put it away some where. In the event that something comes of this (unlikely) you will have a fresh recollection of the facts. If nothing comes, then you can throw it away.

H

hexeliebe

And one last suggestion:

Look in the phone book for your county mental health organization and call them for anger management classes.

It may seem silly to you now, but road rage is a killer. How you deal with it now depends on which side of the rage you'll be on next time.

Just like your parents told you a long time ago. It takes a bigger man to walk away. Bigger and breathing.

S

soysocio1

Thanks you all for your advises, I really appreciated. Will look into available anger management courses in the neighborhood. Road rage was not a light thing I admit, and what had occured to me yesterday could just be ten time worse like jetx suggested. It is not my intent to harm anyone nor viceversa, so this would serve me as a warning. At this point, I also want to find out whether I am really in deep trouble. Is it ok to just call the police department to find out or is it best to have a lawyer do that kind of inquiry for me? Anyone know how much a lawyer charge for such service? And how much would an anger management course usually cost?
Thank you all again for your time and enlightening words.

H

hexeliebe

The county mental health association doesn't usually charge and there are many organizations including hotlines where you can get referrals. These usually work on donations so be generous.

I would not contact anyone. Just get on with life. This lady is probably doing the same as you or just an idiot who has forgotten already.

But do what JetX suggested and write down the details so you can have them ready.

And good luck. It's not often someone recognizes a 'come to jesus' meeting and you had one. At least you were adult enough and man enough to recognize you needed to change your behavior.

Congrats.

P

pass23431

This week in Chicago; some people lost their cool. 7 people were shot in the head because they got up, and went to work. 9 kids lost their lives because their parents sent them off to school. We all regret that too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">