• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I may be in a bit of trouble

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stantheman

I'm from Mississippi. Several months ago as I was finishing up on the relocation of my restaurant, I found that my funds were depleting faster than expected. I approached one of the local bankers in town and explained the need for additional money to finish up the work. After taking some personal information from me, he quickly indicated that the funds needed shouldn't be a problem. "Awesome!" I thought. "Now I can get down to business." That's when I wrote the almost $6,000 check to the electricians who were finished with their work. A couple days later the bad news came from the banker. He was not able to lend me the funds I had hoped for. Oops.

I offered to make payments to the electricians but they refused, stating they would wait for it to be paid all at once. Since then, I had great personal issues in my life and the business closed. They have sent the check to the D.A. The D.A. has demanded the full amount which I don't have. I suppose my arrest is quickly approaching.

I know the check amount is not small and is way above felony status. I know I had no intentions of defrauding the electricians, as I believed the check would be honored, as the anticipated extra funds would be sitting in my account. Additionally, I wrote the check several days after the work was completed, not before work was started. I seem to be in a heap of a mess. Any suggestions?:(

Kane

If you can beg or borrow but not steal the money to pay the electricians back, you'll be saving yourself a heap of trouble. Otherwise, you'll likely have to pay attorney's fees, probation fees, bail bondsman's fees and who knows what else, and still have to pay back the $6000 on top of that. Fwiw, you'd have been better off not paying the electricians than paying them with a rubber check.

smutlydog

I'm from Mississippi. Several months ago as I was finishing up on the relocation of my restaurant, I found that my funds were depleting faster than expected. I approached one of the local bankers in town and explained the need for additional money to finish up the work. After taking some personal information from me, he quickly indicated that the funds needed shouldn't be a problem. "Awesome!" I thought. "Now I can get down to business." That's when I wrote the almost $6,000 check to the electricians who were finished with their work. A couple days later the bad news came from the banker. He was not able to lend me the funds I had hoped for. Oops.

I offered to make payments to the electricians but they refused, stating they would wait for it to be paid all at once. Since then, I had great personal issues in my life and the business closed. They have sent the check to the D.A. The D.A. has demanded the full amount which I don't have. I suppose my arrest is quickly approaching.

I know the check amount is not small and is way above felony status. I know I had no intentions of defrauding the electricians, as I believed the check would be honored, as the anticipated extra funds would be sitting in my account. Additionally, I wrote the check several days after the work was completed, not before work was started. I seem to be in a heap of a mess. Any suggestions?:(
It's time to start selling personal possessions to clear this matter up. If you get charged with a felony the cost will be enormous.
I would rather use the city bus service for the next 5 years of my life than be charged with a felony.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">