• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I Need A Lawyer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

madmen

New Jersey

I'm a 19 year old who was just arrested for DWI, & Having 2 guns.
This is Not a Joke!
Please E-mail me off-line.
New Jersey only of course

S

SignorFrancesco

It all depends on whether this is a first offense, what the circumstances are with the guns, etc, etc, etc. You need to contact a lawyer, offline, immediately. A lawyer is going to need to meet with you face to face.

It's possible that this could turn out to be a ton of fines for you, and no jail time, but it could go the exact opposite way. A lawyer can give you a better idea once you've sat and talked with them.

M

madmen

This is my first offense and the BB guns were mind but I was NOT the ONE to wave the gun out the window of the car to cause the assault to do bodily harm charge or threaten charge. I will admit I was drinking, failed the test, no Insurance card (I do have insurance though) Open cab of beer in the car. The rest was done by one person out of 4 of us in the car.
We are ALL charged with the same thing.

Shay-Pari'e

madmen said:
This is my first offense and the BB guns were mind but I was NOT the ONE to wave the gun out the window of the car to cause the assault to do bodily harm charge or threaten charge. I will admit I was drinking, failed the test, no Insurance card (I do have insurance though) Open cab of beer in the car. The rest was done by one person out of 4 of us in the car.
We are ALL charged with the same thing.
I may get raked over the coals by other member's, and so be it........

What the hell are you thinking? Do you think it is cool to drive around with your friends drinking and waving guns around the neighborhood? For god's sake, do you have nothing better to do?

Oh, and if you had insurance, that was easy enough to supply to the officer without your little card.

What the hell are you thinking endangering other's lives by your lack of responsibility? Your driving along with a beer in between your legs, your passengers are shooting guns at innocent people and you call that fun?

You need to grow the hell up. What do YOU want out of your life? You are a dangerous person, you should not be on the roads.

M

madmen

No your right I never said I was an angel BUT I swear to you I never did anything like this in my life. Yes I drink but there was a new friend who turned out to be trouble for me.
I did present an insurance card so that will be dropped I'm sure. I will except the ownership of the BB guns (2) but like I said I did NOT wave it out the window and when I told him to stop it was to late the police were their to pull us over. Believe me I've learned. I'm going to AA and I've also stop drinking and I'm thinking of getting engaged to my girlfriend who understands I'm really NOT like this.
I want to start my LIFE over the right way and JAIL would NOT help me.
I'm GUILTY of DWI, Under age drinking, having an open can of beer in the car, having 2 BB guns BUT THAT"S IT.
And your right THANK GOD no one got hurt (not that that makes it right it DON't)

S

SignorFrancesco

Now that I know they were BB guns, and about the waving of one of the guns, and the fact that you had other people in the car. . . the picture is a bit clearer.

If nobody was holding the BB guns, and they were in your car, you are responsible for them. Even if someone is concealing a gun, BB or otherwise, it's your car and you'd have a hard time proving you didn't have knowledge of it's presence.

Do what you can to get the friend who was waving the gun around to admit his actions.

Be absolutely honest with the Judge, because they know when you're giving them a story.

Main thing, get a lawyer to represent you, IMMEDIATELY.

You're damn lucky that the cops didn't shoot first and figure out what happened later. They're scared as hell when they roll up on a scenario like this, and they're thinking that they might not make it home to their families. Damn lucky, kid.

If I had to guess, and it's ONLY a guess, you won't do jail time if it's a first offense and you have bail money. They might require bail if they think your a flight risk or that you might not show for the next court appearence. But you'll increase your chances of this not being as bad if you get a lawyer.

I would hope, and imagine, that the Judge will impose some hefty fines and mandatory programs for you. You'll most likely have this affect your driving record, which will increase your insurance.

That's the best I can give ya, and don't do something that damn stupid again. Next time you might get shot or wrapped around a tree trunk.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">