• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

i need to make a case against someone that i know is somehow involved in a burglary

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

juntjoo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? fl

some time ago, but i need to know what information i need to gather to make a case. so far the detective assigned to me isn't much help

when the burglary occured, on a saturday afternoon, my roommate pat was home passed out and sick and without his phone that he lost the last tues, to call 911 after the burglary occurrred. it turns out, as our neighbor chuck confirmed, that pat left his phone at chuck's tuesday night which chuck confirmed the monday after the burglary after he arrived home from a weekend getaway to his sister's, then claims to have dropped it inside my cat door on various occasions, either very close to just before the burglary, 24hrs before on friday afternoon which i would have had to have found it in such an obvious location, or much earlier to the time he claimed he found it, wed or thur. either way it doesn't make any sense why he didn't just return the phone wed or thur to my roommate's hands. instead he claimed to not have been able to find my roommate who recalls being around everday. he also stated that he had the phone 2 days before he returned it then left for the weekend, but as my roommate recalls, wed or thurs he asked chuck if he'd seen his phone, which the answer was no, but chuck had found the phone either wed or thurs. how could he have had the phone for all this time and not tell pat he had his phone? because he needed to keep the phone long enough for the two others involved to commit the burglary safely, because my roommate is always home but drunk consistently enough to be vulnerable to a burglary, but only without a phone to call the cops who'd have easilly caught the people involved shortly after the crime in broad daylight as they would have to struggle to get out of our enclosed commmunity had my roommate been able to call the cops.

these are just a couple initial alarming details to chuck's bs story about the phone, which as he mentioned 'btw, i made a couple (random) calls on it(pat's phone)' which to me sounds like he messed up and used the phone he was paid to get a hold of for the other people involved in the burglary. that is just a start. but i know he is hiding something, and i just know the two other people behind the burglary because it could have only been them, and there are a lot of other suspicion provoking details about chuck's story, that i'm sure any detective willing to question chuck will find that he is hiding something worth extracting, as they classicaly do in the movies, threatening to put the questionee away for years unless he gives info(names of others involved). i know who the at least two other people are involved in this, but have nothing on them other than an eye witness, fran, who saw one of these two other people involved, a girl standing in front of chuck's apt straight across from mine, that sat morning some time before the crime, dressed from head to toe, cap, long sleeves, and long jeans, scoping out my apt. fran stated she believed she thought she'd seen this character around hanging around our place and chucks, which would implicate this girl is the suspect i have in mind had indeed been hanging around our apts' but i would need fran to identify her.

i know chuck's story would not come across to a detective as one from an innocent person not involved with this crime, and if a detective would help me to have fran identify the girl she saw as the girl i have in mind, then i think with all the other details i have i'd have close to a case.

what do i do here? my detective so far is treating my case as too weak

CdwJava

If the police are not dealing with the case as YOU believe they should be, you can ask top speak to the investigating officer's supervisor and see if that changes anything. But, it probably won't.

Unfortunately, what you seem to have here is a case built on a house of cards. there are too many "ifs" and "maybes" involved, and likely unreliable statements and recollections that would all have to fall into place for there to exist probable cause necessary to make an arrest. What you describe would be an awful lot of work.

Now, what was taken in this burglary? What was the approximate value of the theft? If very small, then it is no wonder the police are not struggling too hard to make the case stick. This appears to have a low solvability factor based on the circumstantial case you have strung together on supposition, so unless we are talking about a theft in the tens of thousands of dollars, it is very likely they are going to move on pretty quickly if things don't break the right way.

If the loss was significant enough - and you have the resources - you might consider hiring a private investigator and suing the involved parties. if you can make a case, then that would be your remedy. The burden of proof to prevail at a civil trial is less than that needed for success in a criminal trial - plus, you would have control of the situation, not the police.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">