• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need some answers about my shoplifting case.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

devlyn

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I just went to court on a bogus shoplifting charge.

I purchased a portable hard drive at Wal-Mart and as I left the store it was taken from me and I was told I had changed prices. How do you change prices at a store that scans everything I asked, then they told me I changed barcodes. Huh? They called the police and I wasn't arrested, which surprised the employees, but I was summoned to court.

So like anyone who was being called a shoplifter would do, I got a lawyer. I also found receipts from past Wal-Mart trips showing where I have purchased $100-$300 items from the electronics department as proof that I am a loyal and honest shopper with ample funds.

When I arrived in court today I noticed no one from Wal-Mart was there. No one who the officer told to be in court was there, EXCEPT ME. I was told by my lawyer that this means the case would be dismissed. I then pointed out that the officer himself wasn't even there! A rare thing indeed. It was just me, my lawyer and my records. My lawyer was so sure that this case was over and done with that he started reviewing other cases as we waited.

When it was my turn my lawyer explained our situation. The judge asked if there was anyone from Wal-Mart in the court and no one answered. He then called the officer and he didn't answer. The judge then sent someone out of the court room to call the officer, on the phone, to see if he was in the building, and no, he wasn't. That person then called the officer's HOUSE and he wasn't home. No one against me cared enough to show up. Not the cashier, not the security officer, not the person who greets customers... not even a lawyer from their side... not even the OFFICER. Three people were told to be there, one should have been there to represent the company and one was required by law to be there... none of them were.

Yet, the case is continued so that they can once again be told to appear. The judge said that the officer didn't do his job correctly and because of that, it needed to be extended. Um, I've heard about murderers walking free because the arresting officer did one little thing wrong. Mine DIDN'T SHOW UP and its continued? What?

I'd also like to point out that I'm 24, a College graduate, have had the same job for nearly three years and have a spotless record, which includes traffic violations, even though those do not count.

Why are they given a second chance? Why am I still in this mess when the officer who wrote me up isn't even competent enough to show up in court or call ahead if he's not going to be able to make it? If two people out of the three showed up and the judge said he wants to wait for the third I would honestly understand... but three out of three employees not showing up isn't a misunderstanding or circumstances beyond their control; it's that they realize it’s a misunderstanding and do not want to bother showing up and eating crow.

Even though there is no evidence that can prove I did anything wrong, I'm worried that they won't need any. A mere "Yes, he stole from us." will be enough to find me guilty. It's scary to think that, but I honestly do after today. "Oh, they didn't show up? Poop. Well, give them another chance because this kid is going DOWN."

So that's where I'm at right now, believing what my lawyer told me and being in shock that it didn't come to fruition. Was I wrong to believe it? Is what happened to me common? Can the prosecuting party, the ENTIRE party, be given a second chance to appear like that?

The most humorous part of all of this, and the reason I'm so infuriated, is that a person ahead of me had her case dismissed because the no one from the Super 8 motel was there to represent themselves! So that's proof that no one there = no case, so why was mine different? Is the officer the key difference?

I'm sorry, I'm rambling. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">