• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I was Rape - legal process is not responding

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

Eyenocents

I was raped while asleep at a guys house. I had passed out after drinking a little, it did not seem like that much, but I was not able to do anything when the guy raped me. It seemed like I was drugged or something. I called the police and they took me to a clinic and gave me a full checkup. There was semen on my clothes, and there was some medical damage which I wont go into. The police said they would send it to a lab to test it and said it would take about 2 months to get word back on whether the guy i thought did it, really did it. He totally denied it and was released after questioning. The clinic referred me to an advocate. I went through a couple of counceling sessions. It has been nearly 4 months now, and the police have still got no results on the tests, they don't return my calls, my advocate won't return my calls, and the clinic that gave me the checkup has sent me a bill for $1700.00 for being there for a few hours. I do not have the money to pay for this, I am just barely 19, and my family is very poor. I called the clinic account department to see if there is anythign I could do about it, and they said if I don't pay immediately, they will send a claim to collections. I feel like nobody cares that this crime was committed and I am paying for it. Is there a way I could get legal aid for free, doesn't the government provide for this - something better that my advocate, who I haven't been able to reach in weeks? Please help me.

A person I know was in your shoes.

The DNA took about six months to come back. I guess the police labs are very, very busy.

The detective gave her a form to complete for Crime Victim's financial assistance. There is assistance available for medical bills, as well as counseling and other misc. things.

Check with your police dept. and also with a Rape Crisis Center in your area. They can give you the information to apply for financial assistance.

As for the hospital turning you into collection.....send them something. $5 or $10, whatever you can afford. As long as you send some kind of payment, they will not likely turn you into collection.

If the investigating detective is not returning your calls, ask for his supervisor.

T

txmom1

I am not qualified to give legal advice but my daughter was raped last month and the exam/rape kit/DNA is part of the investigation and it will be paid by the D.A.'s office.(I live in Texas)

I would call the Rape Crisis Center or D.A.'s office in your area and ask them about this. Maybe they could also refer you to a different Advocate. This is a very difficult issue to deal with........my heart goes out to you!!! Good Luck!!

E

Eyenocents

Thanks - further advice is still welcomed

Thanks for your help both. It still seems like I am paying for a crime against myself. Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">