• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I was robbed at gunpoint in New Orleans

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kelliekat

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Maryland

Hi I was robbed on the 26th of June in New Orleans at gunpoint. The person stole my purse which contained money prescripition sunglasses and other personal things. I have since idenitified the person and she is now in jail awaiting her court apperance I think. I have not yet heard from the DA from New Orleans but I will prosecute and go back just for that reason. Not only losing my purse and belonging I was also injuried which required a trip to the ER and stitches to my hand. And a hospital bill of almost 900.00. My questions are can I file a civil suit and if so how do I go about it and if not is there anything else I can do? Also what happens now do I just sit and wait for the DA or what? Please any info would be appericated. I am so upset :mad: and feel as if I can not do anything
Thanks
Kellie

stephenk

Ask the New Orleans DA if they have a victims advocate who can assist with recovery of restitution for the medical bills. you can sue the defendant in civil court for your injuries. Consult with a local attorney who might be able to assist you with finding a New Orleans attorney to handle the civil case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">