• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

i was robbed at work!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

vqs

In mid August I walked out on (abandoned) my job at a small NJ company because the working conditions were intolerable. About 2 weeks ago I remembered that I never retrieved my property from my desk. I called the h.R. mngr. to make arrangements to pick up my things. At first he said that it wouldnt be a problem- he just needed to contact my dept mngr who had my things (why? H.R. should have) and he would get back to me. A week went by and I called again. Now he said that they couldnt find any of my things, but if and when they did they would call me. I emailed back to say that if my things were not returned I would file a police report for stolen property. He emailed me 2 days later to say that now had they found some items (stuffed animals, etc) but could not locate the main items that I had been concerned about ( a crystal vase & crystal picture frame). I feel like they violated some right of mine by collecting my things and then allowing them to be destroyed/ lost/ stolen. Do I still have rights even though I quit? Should I file a police report? And then what? :confused:

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Here's the problem: you don't know who took it. It could be any employee, any after hours workers, cleaners, etc.

So, my take is this: you waited this long to remember you left your stuff there? What you should have done was take it the day you left, if they were that important to you.

Check with your state's employment law or civil code about possible statutes covering this. OR call a lawyer in your state and see if there are not only statutes but case law as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">