• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I think my aunt is responsible for my disabled mother's missing savings. Need help.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deekay1217

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I'm in Illinois, I am 21 years old and my mother is schizophrenic and has been living off disability for a while, and over that time she had saved up up to 18,000 dollars with the help of her sister (my aunt) because she is her legal guardian. Before that she had savings of 20,000 dollars from working BEFORE she got sick and my aunt was in charge of all her money and her name was on all the bank accounts. That 20,000 disappeared and my aunt claimed that it was all due to hospital bills. And now that after about ten years or so my mother saved up 18,000 again and it has also disappeared. Keep in mind my aunt was in charge of all things financial. If my mother needed money, my aunt goes to the bank and decides how much and when to give it to her. All that money is gone and she is blaming her soon to be ex husaband, claiming he has stolen all this money even though SHE was always in charge of all my mother's finances and bank accounts. WHAT WOULD YOU DO? SHOULD I GET A LAWYER? SHOULD I CALL THE POLICE? PLEASE HELP...My mother is far too naive and mentally ill to comprehend and she loves and trusts her sister too much to ever believe that it was her who stole it. I've spoken with her soon to be ex husband and he has told me that her name (my aunt's name) is on everything and it's a ridiculous lie that he stole anything and that it was all her. What do I do? What can I do to help my mom? I feel this is incredibly messed up, unfair, illegal, and insane.

latigo

It appears you need to file a complaint with the state elder abuse agency. Without a POA you have no standing. (?)
Would you care to explain what is intended by your word "standing". Also the obvious contradiction in your response - "he needs to file but has no standing without a POA"?

Are you saying that without a POA the OP lacks "standing" to report to Adult Protection Services his suspicions of financial mismanagement by his mother's guardian?

Or are you saying that even in the absence of a POA he is free to lodge such a report?

But with a POA he has "standing" to do what? Standing to legally challenge the guardian? Legal cause to force her to render an accounting? Have her guardianship letters revoked?

Last edited by a moderator:

OHRoadwarrior

OP has no POA therefore no legal right to challenge the aunt's actions because she has authorized, legal access to the accounts. Adult Protective Services, upon receipt of a complaint has the right to initiate an investigation and press charges.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">