• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I was unaware of his age

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

maria2323

What is the name of your state? Outside US

Hi there,
I was seeing a guy a couple of times. I believed him to be between the age of 19 and 22. We had a massive row and his parting words were "by the way I'm only 16!"....where I live 16 is underage.
I was speaking to my therapist about this and she told me that she is going to have to report it to her supervisor, who will made a decision on what to do. She knows that I was unaware of his age but I'm afraid because they kept telling me "this is child sex abuse and you've gotta take responsibility for what you've done". God, I didn't know he was underage.
Can anyone give me some advice? What is likely to happen etc etc and what should I do? The supervisor has told me she wants to speak to me on Friday but I don't know if it's to say that the matter is being taken further or being dropped. Any opinions? Plus on Friday if the supervisor asks me any questions should I refuse to answer?

Please, please, I really do need help here.

Maria

JETX

Since you are outside the US, the following is only a general response and has no legal standing in your location.

"Can anyone give me some advice?"
*** Nothing other than the obvious. At this point, anything that might happen is out of your hands.

"What is likely to happen etc etc and what should I do?"
*** Depending on what is told and to whom, there could be anything from a police investigation to absolutely nothing.

"The supervisor has told me she wants to speak to me on Friday but I don't know if it's to say that the matter is being taken further or being dropped. Any opinions?"
*** No way that any of us would know more than you do.

"Plus on Friday if the supervisor asks me any questions should I refuse to answer?"
*** Depends on whether you want to keep your job or not.

Also, your post is very vague as to who these 'players' are. Are you in some type of child management facility?? Why are you in therapy?? What type of facility is this?? Were you in a position of authority or supervision over the minor?? What EXACTLY is the situation?

Last edited:
B

brake pedal

only 16!"....

The only thing I could add to JETX is I would suggest you ascertain his exact age somehow. In your country, wherever that’s is, I wouldn’t know how to go about that. There is the possibility that he is above age. He may have only said that in the "massive row” to upset or intimidate you. Of course if the police are called they will find that out for themselves, if indeed he is above age.

M

maria2323

Hi,
Thanks for the advice so far.
OK to give a little more info.....no I'm not working with children or any kind of job remotely near kids.

I simply met a guy from through a chatroom (and no I wasn't going there searching for underage boys), we got on well and decided we wanted to meet. We saw each other for a little while and I was under the impression that he was a mechanic somewhere between 19 and 22. Age never come up because I never for a second thought he was any younger.

I was seeing a therapist because I've had bulimia for 12 years. She's not yet a registered therapist and she's using her hours with me to gain her qualification, that's why the supervisor has to handle it. Is there any kind of timelimit on how soon they have to report it if they're going to do that?

I'll give you any more details I can. I know its difficult because I'm not in the US so laws are or may be different.

Thanks Maria

JETX

Sorry, I had overlooked your 'outside US' statement.... and have edited my previous post accordingly.
Please contact an attorney in your location for specific legal advice.

vida

If you didn't tell your therapist the young man's name, address, etc. DON'T. Do NOT talk to the police (esp. without an attorney). If no one knows who the "victim" is, keep it to yourself. Do not go back to the therapist or talk to her supervisor, tell 'em to go to hell, find a new therapist. Do NOT let them guilt trip you into thinking you've done something wrong, if the young man doesn't feel victimized there is no victim! You've now learned a valuable lesson, don't say anything you don't want repeated, including therapist.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">